Friday, October 1, 2010

396 - My First Trip to Europe XIII

Mom Update: One step forward….. two steps back. Wednesday morning she awoke with a left hand 3 times its normal size. Seems a blood clot made it’s way there, so now she’s on Coumadin. Also, her false teeth don’t fit so well now that she’s lost so much weight, and while sleeping, her bottoms fell out and rolled onto the floor. The nurse must have accidentally stepped on them, because now they’re in two pieces. No PT either until the hand is better, earliest is Monday.

Brussels:
Checking in at the Hotel Metropole (I hope you checked out their website), I said to Rich “We’re going to test the ‘money is no object’ statement with this stay!”. I’ll probably never in my life stay at such an opulent place.

After settling in, we got on our walking shoes, and explored the little side streets ofbrussels1 Brussels. Bistros, small shops, restaurants and pubs lined the small, almost back-alley sized streets.

As you can see at right, they’re not really streets as much as walkways with many tables outside for sitting, relaxing and enjoying the day as well as people-watching.

I poked my head into a small shop, looking for something to carry stuff in as I walked, and found a nice medium blue canvas backpack (very light) with a small leather bottom for $6 US. The name on it is “USA Crew”! At this time, they were getting used to the Euro, and even though the money wasn’t in circulation yet, the prices had Belgian Francs and Euros side by side. I still have the backpack.. and it’s been all over the world with me. I use it every cruise, and every vacation I go on. *S*brussels2

Walking more, we see some incredible sights, like the one at right.  Fresh seafood presented for all to see. Continuing on, we found our self in the Grand Place (pronounced Grand Ploss). The buildings here are from the 10th century! Please check out the link for it, as my photos won’t do it justice.

grandplace1 

grandplace2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the Spring, they have a flower show in the center of the square, and it’s breathtaking (we saw pictures while there).

While walking around, who should we see but our friend the Gendarme!! He asks us how our hotel is, and I ask him when he gets off work so I could buy him a beer or something, but he politely refuses and instead gives us a wonderful tour of the Grand Place, explaining every building in detail. I truly wish I had asked for his name, or email address so I could tell him even today what a wonderful ambassador he is for Brussels.

More on Monday all… have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Sorry your mom's still having so much trouble. It seems like as we get older, health is such a touchy thing. If one things gets out of whack, then other things spiral down because it's such a delicate balance in the first place.

Great post on your trip, as usual. I don't know why I love narrow streets so much. And old buildings -- over here in the South we think something from 1800's is old, and back east the 1600's is old. But in Europe -- fugeddaboudit!

Way cool about the Gendarme, too. I was thinking, too, that it would be cool for you to contact him again.

I looked at the hotel's site, and it is the swankiest I've seen. More marble than in many state capitol buildings!

October 1, 2010 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mark, you should have seen the ROOMS! *LOL*

October 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I am so sorry your Mom has the swollen hand with the blood clot and hope they can fix it quickly. The teeth will be another story, seeing they don't fit so well, maybe she should take the top ones out or they may have a similar accident. Can a dentist glue the bottoms? How terrific to stay in that swanky hotel and to meet the gendarme again. I am enjoying your Trip immensely Dave and the photos are really good.
Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed the OJ joke - I felt a bit uncertain about posting it.
Was great having my daughter & kids here for a visit. They are all so good to me. Take care my friend, Regards, Merle.

October 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

Know how she feels my mother's dentures are in a box now and I am grinding food all the time. It is just tragic that medicare doesn't care about whether an elderly person can EAT! Sheesh.. oh love the pics thanks for taking us along on that adventure..narrow streets would drive me crazy!

October 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home