397 - My First Trip to Europe XIV
Mom Update: She’s doing well, and hopefully they’re going to start her Physical Therapy again today!
This weekend was a busy one:
Friday night, I went out to dinner with a great friend, John B, and we had an outstanding time!
Saturday, I had my brother and 2 friends over to watch some UCONN Football and tailgate right in my house. It was a great time.
Sunday, I spent some time with a friend who’s in town from Florida. We had a fantastic time, and I’ll be sad to see him head back to Florida this weekend.
Brussels:
After leaving our friend the Gendarme, we once again explored the area, amazed at the small, narrow streets (not for vehicular traffic) and the wonderful stores, pubs and restaurants that lined them.
We finally found the most amazing tourist attraction in Brussels, the Manneken Pis statue (at right, carved in 1619). It’s not easy to find as it’s not very large, but even before going to Brussels, I had heard of it. I like this, from Wikipedia: “On occasion, the statue is hooked up to a keg of beer. Cups will be filled up with the beer flowing from the statue and given out to people passing by.” Right.
We then found a nice looking pub on one of the main streets, and Rich and I stepped in for a cold beer. It seems most of the home made beers are from amber to very dark, which is ok with me and Rich likes them dark as mud! *chuckling*
After having one or two, we had a nice, quiet dinner and headed back to the hotel as we were getting tired from the day (turned out it was after 11pm by the time we got back to the hotel).
Standing in my room, it was hard not to chuckle at rooms so opulent as the wall behind my bed had what appeared to be an elaborate mural hand painted upon it (hopefully I’ll have a picture of it for Wednesday).
Well, have a wonderful Monday all….!

2 Comments:
All of Europe is so different than the U.S. as you've mentioned with the statue that doles out beer on occasion! *grin*
Yours,
'lil o
Didn't have a spare moment to comment today while on a customer's site, but I finally read and enjoyed this post.
When reading about the statue with the phallic fountain, I wondered if "Pis" was related to its cousin with the additional "s."
Glad to hear your mother is doing better again and I hope she gets through physical therapy like a champ.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home