544 – Teachers
[RANT]
In our state, our Governor is trying to change how teachers tenure works, allowing teachers who have been doing a wonderful job for many years, to be laid off or fired.
Now, my daughter is a high school math teacher in our town. The stories she tells us about parents that just don’t care, drug addicts (students and parents), dysfunctional families, and other home problems that make me want to cry. It seems, most parents just don’t give a damn about their kids education any longer, and if a teacher even looks at a kid the wrong way, the parents are ready to sue the school system.
When I was a kid, if a parent sent home a note, I got an ass whooping. Now, the parents come in screaming at the faculty that the teacher is incompetent. What's wrong with this??
My daughter has seen students outright lie to their parents in front of her about what goes on in the classroom, and she has no support from superiors.
Instead of changing the law, our Governor should ask the parents what THEY’RE doing to ensure their kids get the support they need at home.
[END RANT]
On to something funny:
Counseling
After 35 years of marriage, a husband and wife came for counseling .
When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the years they had been married.
On and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of
unmet needs she had endured.
Finally, after allowing this for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and after asking the wife to stand, he embraced and kissed her long and passionately as her husband watched - with a raised eyebrow.
The woman shut up and quietly sat down as though in a daze.
The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least 3 times a week. Can you do this?"
"Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Fridays, I fish."
Ear Infection
They always ask at the doctor's reception why you are there, and you have to answer in front of others what's wrong and sometimes it is embarrassing.
There's nothing worse than a Doctor's Receptionist who insists you tell her what is wrong with you, in a room full of other patients. I know most of us have experienced this, and I love the way this old guy handled it.
A 75-year-old man walked into a crowded waiting room and approached the desk. The Receptionist said, 'Yes sir, what are you seeing the Doctor for today?'
'There's something wrong with my dick', he replied.
The receptionist became irritated and said, 'You shouldn't come into a crowded waiting room and say things like that. '
'Why not, you asked me what was wrong and I told you,' he said.
The Receptionist replied; 'Now you've caused some embarrassment in this room full of people.
You should have said there is something wrong with your ear or something, and discussed the problem further with the Doctor in private.'
The man replied, 'You shouldn't ask people questions in a roomful of strangers if the answer could embarrass anyone.
The man then decided to walk out, waited several minutes, and then re-entered.
The Receptionist smiled smugly and asked, 'Yes??'
'There's something wrong with my ear,' he stated.
The Receptionist nodded approvingly and smiled, knowing he had taken her advice.
'And what is wrong with your ear, Sir?'
'I can't piss out of it,' he replied.
The waiting room erupted in laughter.
Mess with seniors and you're going to lose!
Have a great weekend all!

6 Comments:
In fairness, there are many parents who still fully support the teachers and don't blindly believe what they're children tell them in regards to classroom happenings.
Benjamin knew from a very early age that we were in close and constant communication with his teachers, and that goes a long way. I agree that way too many parents make absolutely no effort, and I know firsthand from when I did my directed teaching that some of them directly accuse the teacher of "picking on my kid," when I watched the kid being the biggest screw-up in the class. That was in the Little Rock School District, where obviously they have had their history of problems.
I'm sure your daughter sees a lot more of it than I ever did, so I can understand her disillusionment. I admire any teachers who stick with it these days. I just hope that she runs into at least a few parents who do care and who respect the teachers instead of appeasing their children to keep the peace at home.
Their, not "they're." Sheesh.
Wait, this is Mark W., but the way. Google used to make me put in at least my name or something when I posted without logging in first. Sorry about that.
Mark, thanks for your comments. Parents that care, seem to be the exception lately, rather than the norm.
I can tell you stories about some of the kids my daughter teaches that'd make you fall off your chair.
It makes her wish she could video tape her class to prove to parents what goes on. (oh, but that would be an infringement on the kids privacy...!)
Amen, Dave. I know there are a lot of good students and parents, but there are some who simply don't care. Parents don't contact the teachers, don't send them to school, don't give a flip. And then to beat the system, they pull their kids out to "homeschool" them. I realize homeschooling can be a good idea, but too often it's used to get around truency laws. The parent sets the grade, and if they fail the standardize test, there is no accountablitly - just have them repeat the grade. And the only proof needed that a kid is being homeschooled (in N.C.) is an attendance sheet - which a parent can make up in 5 mins. Here today? check. Here yesterday? check. Then when they are 16, they can dropout. Problem solved. Some parents don't deserve to be parents.
Hi Dave ~~ A rant from me ~~
Why is your font so small? I can only read it with the
switch on my magnifying glaas
The print is much smaller than any others. End rant.
I agree with you that teachers deserve a fair better deal and it is a shame some parents are so neglectful and unfair. And I fear for their children and their children's
children. As you say if we did wrong we got a belting and the teacher was believed
We have had a heck of a lot of rain and floods all around us, but luckily my
city is not in them.
I liked your joke Dave,
Take care my friend, Cheers, Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home