Monday, January 9, 2012

535 – Hawaii III

We left off and we were in Maui. On our second day there, we took my car and drove up a volcano named Haleakala in the middle of the island. Keep in mind, this is a 10,000 footIMG_0225_1280x960 mountain and the road to the top is 22 miles long! That means, a lot of switchbacks, curves and narrow roads.

Here’s a photo we stopped to take not even halfway up the mountain!

Little did I realize when we started this trip, that we were going above the clouds!

At this point, I was beginning to wonder how we get down this mountain without ruining the brakes on our car, as it was long and downhill.

More on that later… but as we ascended, we got to a ranger station that began the state park, and when I mentioned to the ranger “Thank Goodness We’re Here!”, she chuckled and said “hon, you’re not even halfway up!”.haleakala

So, up we climbed.

(Click on any picture to ‘embiggen’)

See the photo at right about the volcano.

When we finally reached the top, the view was breathtaking (as was the altitude… breathtaking I mean!)

 

This i s where I took one of my favorite photos in Hawaii.. the crater at Haleakala:

IMG_0232_1280x960

 

This photo is only half size, but you can see the beauty in it!

The colors there are so rich and vibrant… it was well worth the drive.

More coming soon….!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

That's great that you thought you had arrived! Also interesting that she called you, "hon." I would expect that here in Texas.

January 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home