220 - Star Trek, Graduation and more...
My son's graduation from UCONN went smoothly, though there were 900 graduates just from the Liberal Arts & Sciences section alone! My son looked great, and here's a picture of him in front of Agustus Storrs Hall:
(Click on picture to 'embiggen')
He had a great day and 2 of his closest friends came to see him graduate. Afterwards, his friends came back to our house for a small cookout and we all had a lot of great food and laughs.
It's amazing how fast our kids grow up... I look at him today, and I wonder what happened to that little kid that liked skateboards and bicycles.
**Star Trek Spoiler Ahead! Scroll down to the line with many ***'s to get past**
Friday night, my friend Dave, TJ and I went to see the new Star Trek movie. I want to first say, the movie will be enjoyed by people even if they don't like any of the TV Star Trek's. I was pleasantly surprised at the acting, the action and most of the casting. All in all, I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.
My ups and downs with the film:
1. Couldn't they have dyed Chekov's hair black (and straightened it out)? It would have cost pennies, and we're so used to seeing him with jet black, straight hair.
2. Uhuru and Spock? This was such an awful plot addition (and unneeded too) , I almost took a star away for it.
3. I loved the person who played Dr. McCoy. Fantastic choice of person, incredible dialogue that I could just picture coming from him.
4. Knowing Kirk the way us serious trek fans do, the last scene where Kirk got accolades from the Star Fleet Council, I believe he would have made sure his crew got the well deserved credit.
Lastly, because I read the book Final Frontier by Diane Carey, in which it tells the story of Jim Kirk's dad, and the Enterprise when Jim Kirk was still in grade school, I don't like what they did with Kirk's father, and how the Enterprise came to be. I very, very highly recommend the book.
Even with all this, I still think it was a great movie.
*****************************************************************************
And now, for a funny:
Curiosity gets the Priest
A priest, in urgent need to use the bathroom, walks into a local bar. The bar is jumping with loud music and lively conversation, but every few minutes the lights abruptly go off. Every time the lights go off, the bar crowd bursts into loud whoops and applause, but when they see the priest enter the bar, the place becomes absolutely quiet.
The priest walks over to the bartender and asks, "Can you please tell me where your bathroom is?"
"Sure, but I have to tell you, father, there's a statue of a naked woman in it and she?s wearing only a fig leaf."
"No problem, I'll just avert my eyes, then," Said the priest.
The bartender then shows the priest to the far side of the bar where the bathroom is located. After a short while, the priest comes out of the bathroom and the bar crowd pauses only long enough to give him a rousing cheer. Perplexed he goes over to the bartender and asks, I'm puzzled. Why did they cheer for me as I came out of the bathroom just now?"
"Well, father, it's because your curiosity has made you human and likeable, just like us," said the bartender. "May I pour you a drink?"
"No thanks you, but, I'm still puzzled," said the priest.
"You see, father," chuckles the bartender, "every time somebody moves the fig leaf on the naked woman statue, the bar lights go off. Now, what do you say to that drink?"
Have a great Monday!

5 Comments:
Congrats to your son.
Yes, Star Trek was a great movie, even for those who are not Trek fans. I hope it gets some of them to watch the other movies (well, II, IV, VI, and First Contact, anyway. Maybe Generations, too.)
****Star Trek Spoilers the rest of this comment*****
I agree with 1), but not so much for his hair as for the way they had Chekhov make that announcement over the ship's PA system. Seemed like a cheap attempt to get people to hear more of his accent.
2) I liked the part where right after Spock reacted so emotionally, Uhura comforted him. The romantic-seeming kiss on the transporter? Not so much. If they are planning to keep Spock that human through the rest of the movies in this new era, I'm not sure I'll like his character nearly as much as I used to. It seems like his dad gave him the greenlight to love when he finally admitted why he married his mother (and can you believe that was Winona Ryder? I thought I recognized those big, brown eyes.)
3) That guy obviously watched DeForest kelly in action. He almost was doing an impression, and pretty much stole every scene he was in.
4) I think it's believable that Kirk didn't stop to give his crew credit; he was still very young and probably thinking of his father. He needs to mature and work with others longer to fully develop a sense of shared greatness.
All great points Mark... it's good to hear from someone at least as well versed on ST as I am.. *chuckling*
Loved the movie, but clear that it was an "alternate" universe. Even Kirk recognized that when he asked the older Spock if in his(Spock's) world did he (Kirk) know his father and Spock told him he did. We also know Spock's mom lived longer than she did in the movie. Also Kirk actually recieved a commendation for cheating the Kobiyashi Mura in regular ST canon. I agree, though - Chekov's curly blonde hair and Uhura/Spock's romance was a bit much, but I doubt that'll last. Bones was great! Scotty wasn't in it long enough. I also having a hard time with the Enterprise being built on the ground in Iowa when we all know it was built in space above San Fransico. But since Kirk is from Iowa it was needed to make the plotline work... I guess. But even as it may be, I saw it twice!!!
Once again congrats to your son, looks like it was a gorgeous day there. I am not a ST fan, have never seen a movie nor will I so no comment on the movie obviously.
CONGRATS to your SON WELL DONE!! As for the movie I want to see it I haven't heard much wrong about it so it must be good. : )
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home