Thursday, February 3, 2011

440 – Yes, Another Weather Post

It’s hard not to talk about the weather lately. We’ve had the snowiest January in recorded history. The last time we had more snow was during the ice age! When you see people, the first thing one of you say is “What do you think of this weather!”.

Right now, we probably have 3-4 feet of snow in the middle of our yards, but it’s the snow piles on the sides of our driveways, on street corners that make driving hazardous. Snow piles on corners can exceed 9 feet in height. Late Tuesday into Wednesday morning, we had freezing rain, to make things worse. And we’re supposed to get more snow Saturday.

I know my friends Peter and Merle from Australia are having horrible heat waves and Typhones/Cyclones.. and I hope they stay well!

Me, I’ve been home sick with a strained back. This is about as bad as it’s been for me, and very little helps it once it’s this bad. Today, it’s a bit better, but I’m taking muscle relaxants for it.

I think that’s enough for today. On to something funny:

On the Farm:

An aged farmer and his wife were leaning against the edge of their pig-pen when the old woman wistfully recalled that the next week would mark their golden wedding anniversary.

"Let's have a party, Homer," she suggested. "Let's kill a pig."

The farmer scratched his grizzled head. "Gee, Ethel," he finally answered, "I don't see why the pig should take the blame for something that happened fifty years ago."

And Another:

An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy didn't respond. Once more the farmer commanded, "Pull, Coco, pull!" Nothing. Then the farmer nonchalantly said, "Pull, Buddy, pull!" And the horse easily dragged the car out of the ditch. The motorist was most appreciative and very curious. He asked the farmer why he called his horse by the wrong name three times. "Well... Buddy is blind and if he thought he was the only one pulling, he wouldn't even try!"

Have a wonderful day all…!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Hadn't heard either of those jokes. Funny stuff!

As far as our weather goes... we got two inches of sleet. Not freezing rain or snow -- just sleet. The roads are frozen solid like an ice rink, as are the parking lots, because we have barely cracked the teens for high temps since the ice fell. Schools are on their third day off in a row, and I'm working from home for the third in a row, too. As are my co-workers.

And, because the wind has been so bad, nobody wants to let their kids play outside for fear they will get frostbite. The combination of all of the above has resulted in the temporary insanity of houseparents. Not to mention the folks who cannot get prescription refills to ward off their insanity (no, not me).

February 3, 2011 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Kent said...

Sorry to hear about your back, Dave. I had a severe bout a few years ago and have introduced a morning routine of back stretches that have really helped. I modeled mine from a video my librarian wife brought home called, "Yoga For The Back." I didn't see this particular one online, but this guy demonstrates most of what I do {up to the -10:00 mark). No, there are no weird poses -- just simple stretches you can accomplish from a seated position.

When you recover from the acute pain stage, give'em a try and modify them to suit yourself.

---

Remarkably, this winter has (thus far) brought us the least snow in memory. We've seen our neighboring states to the north,south, & west receive over a foot of snow in the past two storms, but only a few inches have dropped here.

February 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home