94 Yes, I'm a HAM
Well, after a while, I wanted more privileges on the radio (ability to use different frequencies, different modes of communication.. etc), so I studied for my "Technician" test (at this point, my licence class was called Novice).
This test was pretty easy, and once you pass this test, you have the option of going from a 2X3 call (KA1TBE is a 2X3, two letters, a number and 3 letters) to a 1X3 call. I chose to change for reasons I explained on Friday.
Oh, did I mention, the "1", stands for the geographic area you live in. 1 is the Northeast US. Here's how that works. Each number represents thee following states/areas:
1 ME, NH, MA, RI, CT, VT
2 NY, NJ
3 PA, DE, MD
4 KY, VA, TN, NC, AL, GA, SC, FL
5 NM, TX, OK, AR, LA, MS
6 CA
7 WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, NV, UT, AZ
8 MI, OH, WV
9 WI, IL, IN
0 ND, SD, NE, KS, CO, MN, IA, MO
L0 - L9 AK
P1 - P5 Caribbean: Navassa Island (P1), U.S. Virgin Islands (P2), Puerto Rico (P3, P4), Desecheo Island (P5)
13 H0 - H9 Hawaii and Pacific: Baker or Howland Island (H1), Guam (H2), Johnston Island (H3), Midway Island (H4), Palmyra Island or Jarvis Island (H5), Kingman Reef (H5K), Hawaii (H6, H7), Kure Island (H7K), American Samoa (H8), Wake, Wilkes or Peale Island (H9), Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands (H0)
Of course, all US HAM Radio Callsigns begin with A, K or N.
Back to my new call. Another 5 weeks went by and I got my new call. N1GUF. Much better than before! I've probably made contact with over 50 countries, and had a great time with it. Unfortunately, the Internet made HAM radio much less interesting when you could Instant Message someone in any country very easily. That... and I sold most of my HAM radios to make money to buy my Corvette.
And now, for a funny:
Hilarious Signs
Over a gynecologist's office: "Dr. Jones, at your cervix."
On a plumber's truck: "We repair what your husband fixed."
On the trucks of a local plumbing company in NE Pennsylvania: "Don't sleep with a drip. Call your plumber."
Pizza shop slogan: "7 days without pizza makes one weak."
Outside a muffler shop: "No appointment necessary. We hear you coming."
In a veterinarian's waiting room: "Be back in 5 minutes. Sit! Stay!"
Door of a plastic surgeon's office: "We can help you pick your nose!"
On an electrician's truck: "Let us remove your shorts."
In a non-smoking area: "If we see smoke, we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action."
On a maternity room door: "Push. Push. Push."
At an optometrist's office: "If you don't see what you're looking for, you've come to the right place."
In the front yard of a funeral home: "Drive carefully. We'll wait."
That's it for today... have a wonderful Monday!

4 Comments:
Hi Dave ~~ The Radio is all too complex for me I'm afraid. But if it is something you enjoy, why not?
Thanks for your kind words about my blog. Take care, Regards, Merle.
The Internet and accouterments, i.e. Instant Messaging, have definitely changed much of our world. Communication in general has changed and if you don't think so, watch a pre-teen text to another sometime! *grin* Even C.B.'ers are rare now except for the die-hard truckers.
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
So, is somebody wanting to make a HAM comeback? If you wanted to, could you just pick up again with the same call? To me, the whole component of listening to somebody's voice (trying to understand an accent, as well), makes the contacting other countries aspect of communication much more exciting in HAM radio than through instant messaging.
Love the Hilarious Signs.
HAH the non smoking one made me lauggh out loud.. assuming you are on fire. hehheh..chuckle.. Your temp gauge says it is 68 there at 8:15 WOW hotter than here, going to be a warm one there I bet..I loved that show on CBS JERICHO.. it taught how it would be if we had a world war or were bombed by nuclear war. Those HAm operators
were the ones that got things going to let everyone else know what was happening in the world. I do beleive that they will be the ones to save our "butts" if something hits the fan. I hope it never does in my lifetime!! : )
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home