Monday, June 9, 2008

88 High Heat and Iced Coffee

Thank goodness Saturday is over.

The heat and humidity was completely unbearable, with the mercury (or red liquid as we can't use mercury thermometers any longer) made it up to 98F, with the humidity making it feel like 104. The good news was, the show was a complete success, with over 300 cars, and quite a few spectators, even in the heat.

The crowd was well behaved, and the people seemed to enjoy themselves. Our club members though, were really worn out at the end of the day. One good thing was, my barber is almost across the street from our club truck, and my barber waved me into his place, handed me an ice cold wet towel to put on my face for a few, and then gave me a place to put it should I need it later (I did, about 10 times!).  All in all, it was a successful, if not physically taxing day.

I have to ask a question here. Why is it, we are charged more for iced coffee, than normal coffee? With all the ice in the cup, you barely get half the "liquid coffee" in the cup? I was looking at prices at Dunkin Donuts, and couldn't believe how much more they get for iced coffee. What do you think?

Sunday, I just relaxed. I even took a nap in the afternoon to recuperate from Saturday. We finally got a bit of relief from the heat with a long thunderstorm in the afternoon.

I was sad to hear of the passing of Jim McKay, the ABC Sportscaster whose voice was synonymous with the Olympics. Anyone who is old enough to remember ABC's Wide World of Sports, remembers him.

Well, on to the workweek..  have a wonderful Monday..!

7 Comments:

Blogger bubbanem said...

Hey, Dave. Glad you enjoyed the humidity Saturday. :-) ... Kinda like visiting the South without leaving home.

I'll place the iced coffee pricing methodology alongside that of gasoline: we'll pay it, so they set the price anywhere they want!

June 9, 2008 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Glad the car show is over for you. The weather sounds pretty
hot weather. It hasn't been too bad here - not complaining sbout the cold yet. Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the jokes. I was 12 in the old photo Peter put on and he was 10. The cousins all younger.
Yake care, Dave. Isn't it great that Bob is back? It was so worrying. Iy
sounds like he is working hard yhough
Regards, Merle.

June 9, 2008 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Supply and demand, my friend! Ice is more in demand in the heat than hot drinks are in the cold. Go figure.

Yikes, that's hot weather! Should I tell you that we didn't get close to 80 all weekend? Nah... I won't do that to you.

I'm glad you had a good weekend though! *HUGS*

June 9, 2008 at 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that your car show went as well as it did...congratulations, and blessings to your barber! *smile*

i can't say that i've ever paid more for iced coffee than hot coffee here in Florida. However, i have never ordered iced coffee at those donut kind of places...just at restaurants, and they always charge the same, and it's my drink of choice with dinner, etc. . Oh, well...

Yours,

michelle

June 9, 2008 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Good Lord. I don't think we've hit 98 degrees here in north Texas yet. And I know we don't have your kind of humidity in this area. Glad you guys didn't melt. Sheesh.

I never could stand iced coffee. Something about it literally gives me the willies as I drink it.

I, too, was sorry to hear of Jim McKay's passing. I remember his "agony of defeat" bit and the music that went with it, just like it was yesterday.

June 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy that Bob is back and let us know how he is. Was gone way too long. Scary I agree being so far from a phone or any way to let anyone know anything. Yep
iced coffee they gotta mark up the price because everyone wants the ice! That deal at McD's is sweet though.. 1.00 for all drinks. I hope that lasts a long long time!
take care.. : )

June 10, 2008 at 12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that the car show went so well. You have some determined folks up there to have braved the heat for the event.

Reba

June 10, 2008 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home