92 Reminders of Times Past
I've placed a new link to a blog I read at the left. It's Caroldee's blog, called "And so it goes on..." and I read her blog often.
Her post today, brought back memories for me, as she was talking about painting with oil based paint, and the smell of turpentine.
As my brother will agree, we both remember the smell of turpentine in our youths as both of our Grandfathers were painters. There were always cans of paint around in our basement and garage, and nearly always a paint can in the garage with 3 or 4 brushes in it, soaking in turpentine.
Something funny happened last week, when my brother happened to be going up the street we lived in as a kid, and a guy was outside of our childhood home selling parking spots for an Italian Festival across the street. He decided to go talk to the guy, and told him how we were brought up in that house. He asked questions that only someone that has intimate knowledge of that house would know, and the guy was amazed. THEN, the guy asked.. "Want to come inside and see?". Well, off they went, bringing back lots of memories for him (and for me when he told me of it). The "stairway to nowhere" that was closed up when the house went from a one family to two family, the kitchen that my grandmother cooked so much fantastic food , not to mention her incredible coffee cake in, and the top 2 floors where we lived.
Maybe someday, I'll get to walk through again... I hope it happens. So much of my life was there.
And now, a funny for you all:
Penguins Go to the Zoo
A man drives to a gas station and has his tank filled up. The gas pumper spots two penguins sitting in the back seat of the car.
He asks the driver, "What's up with the penguins in the back seat?"
The man in the car says "I found them. I asked myself what to do with them, but I haven't had a clue."
The clerk ponders a bit then says, "You should take them to the zoo."
"Hey, that's a good idea," says the man in the car and drives away.
The next day the man with the car is back at the same gas station. The clerk sees the penguins are still in the back seat of the car.
"Hey, they're still here! I thought you were going to take them to the zoo."
"Oh, I did," says the driver, "And we had a swell time. Today I am taking them to the beach."
That's it for now.. have a wonderful Hump-Day!
Labels: Family

6 Comments:
Loved this post. It's very cool that your brother got to tour that old house from your childhood. Every time Shannon and I return to northwest Arkansas, we drive by her late grandmother's old house, but I can never get her gumption up enough for her to knock on the door. I hope this will inspire her, but I have no idea when we'll be up that way again.
Glad to hear your shoulder's doing so much better, by the way. I think you've inspired me to finally do something about mine.
HI DAVE. Thanks so much for including me in your blogroll. I am humbled that you would visit and enjoy my posts. Re: the house...
THAT is why Dave, I do not go anywhere without my camera. Boy I bet you had some pictures of how it looks nowdays, I sure would.
Funny how smells can also take you back in an instant to your childhood. When I smell cigars I think of my grandfather, cinnamon rolls my aunt, Where would we be without our memories ehh?? Take care and thanks again!! :)
Hey, is one who twitters called a twit?
That kind of nostalgia is fantastic, Dave. The guy who can capture some of our special "smell" memories for us to savor when we need 'em will make billions, right quick!
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
Hi Dave ~~ It is nice to go back and see our childhood homes. They seem to be the ones we remember most. Nice that your brother was ale to do so, and tell you about it. The joke was a good one too. Thanks for your comments and I am glad you got a good laugh about the diamonds on the floor
With my bad back, I doubt if I'd even go for diamonds these days. Take care
Best wishes. Merle.
How awesome that is and I hope you get to walk through it again and that all the happiness you felt as a kid comes flooding back. Your words are happy ones just from your brother's experience so I know it will be sweeter to walk through yourself.
YAY that I could access your site from work... shhhh...
*HUGS*
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home