Friday, July 10, 2009

231 – Busy Week

Today was my friend Dick’s funeral, and I attended as a pall bearer. I’ve known Dick since 1981 or so when we both helped form a computer club named BAUD. Dick was a HAM Radio Operator (KB1LE) and helped me get my license. I got to know his son Jeff also, and we were casual friends for about 5 years before Jeff passed away from a debilitating disease. Through it all, Dick was a good friend. Today, as Paul Harvey said, I learned “The Rest, of the Story”.

See, when Dick was young, he was very much into scouting. He earned their highest honor, Eagle Scout while still young. He served in the US Army and spent some time in Germany. Unbeknownst to any of us, while there, he actually started up a Boy Scout unit in Germany. He was very giving, and giving of himself in this way was natural to him. I never realized just how giving he was, until he was gone.  He’ll be missed……

As I said on Wednesday, I got my new Netbook, and the optional 2GB of RAM is now installed. I put Windows 7 on it and it runs fantastic!  It’s fast enough for me, has 160GB of storage.. and I’m typing this on it! I’m really enjoying it.

Other than that, it looks already to be a busy weekend again. By far, this is the busiest year for weekends that I can remember.

Well, I hope you all are doing well, and have a wonderful weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

That's so cool that he started a Boy Scout troop in Germany. It would be interesting to find out if they're still going strong over there.

I'm considering finding a way to get a Netbook this year. Seems like a great time.

July 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Always a sad thing to lose a friend Dave.

July 11, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home