Monday, June 22, 2009

224 - Still Raining, and Fathers Day

Yep, it's still raining, and the forecast is for.... rain. Until Thursday at least. *frown*

Happy Fathers Day to all you dad's out there, like my friend Mark, whose son we've all watched since he wasn't even walking yet (it seems), to Bubba, who loves his kids so much, I think he just took them to Hawaii! (but did he bring them back?), to Curt. Curt, who is not a biological dad, but who's a dad of another kind. He teaches kids at his church. He shares his love of music, of art, and of his very special gentleness. If you knew him like I do, you'd be in awe of his music, art and what a gentle soul he is. To Peter, who spares nothing to take care of his children. Listening to how he takes care of Vicki, is a testament to what kind of a man he is. I could name more dads, but they're all special in their own right.

Me, I just try to do well by my kids. For Fathers Day today, my daughter took me to get my own Betta fish (or is it Beta?). She and my son split it, but he had to work so my daughter, wife and I went out today in search of my special one. Here's what I got after going to 4 stores:

hansel

I've named him "Hansel", because if my daughter has Derek (Zoolander), mine must be his arch-nemesis/friend Hansel! If you've never seen the movie Zoolander, oh please find it and watch it. It's truly hilarious.

We got him home, and he immediately took to his new home. it's a one gallon glass bowl with a small oriental looking building with a hole he can slip through if he wants. So far, he's doing quite well, and I think it was a great gift idea from my son and daughter! (click on the picture to 'embiggen')

Other than that, it's been a pretty quiet weekend, so on to something funny:

0 to 200 in 6 seconds

Bob was in trouble. He forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife was
really pissed.
She told him "Tomorrow morning, I expect to find a gift in the
driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds AND IT BETTER BE THERE !!"
The next morning he got up early and left for work. When his wife woke
up, she looked out the window and sure enough there was a box
gift-wrapped in the middle of the driveway.
Confused, the wife put on her robe and ran out to the driveway, brought
the box back in the house.
She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.
Bob has been missing since Friday.

Impossible to Please

A group of girlfriends is on vacation when they see a 5-story hotel with a sign that reads: "For Women Only." Since they are without their boyfriends and husbands, they decide to go in.
The bouncer, a very attractive guy, explains to them how it works. "We have 5 floors. Go up floor by floor, and once you find what you are looking for, you can stay there. It's easy to decide since each floor has a sign telling you what's inside."
So they start going up and on the first floor the sign reads: "All the men on this floor are short and plain." The friends laugh and without hesitation move on to the next floor.
The sign on the second floor reads: "All the men here are short and handsome." Still, this isn't good enough, so the friends continue on up.
They reach the third floor and the sign reads: "All the men here are tall and plain."
They still want to do better, and so, knowing there are still two floors left, they continued on up.
On the fourth floor, the sign is perfect: "All the men here are tall and handsome." The women get all excited and are going in when they realize that there is still one floor left. Wondering what they are missing, they head on up to the fifth floor.
There they find a sign that reads: "There are no men here. This floor was built only to prove that there is no way to please a woman."

Have a great Monday all...!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Nice tribute, Dave. Glad to hear you got your own fish. I like your naming scheme.

Maybe you could have made some bank by naming your daughter's fish Spock and yours Kirk. The new Bluray set that I got (of the first six ST movies) is promoted as "six movies featuring Kirk and Spock." You can tell they were made to attract fans of the new movie.

June 22, 2009 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

That wouldn't have flown... my daughter's not a ST fan! *chuckling*

But we both love Zoolander!

Hmm... maybe I should name mine from someone in MY favorite movie... The Princess Bride!
Fezzik? Vizzini? Inigo? Wesley? (Inigo is almost like Indigo!)

June 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM  
Anonymous Elaine said...

Very kewl fish!! Love the color. Hope the rain lets up for you soon, we are dry and hot until Thursday when we're suppose to get rain. I'll take every bit of sunshine I can get.

June 22, 2009 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~Cute fish. Glad you had a good Father's Day. And good jokes too
Glad you enjoyed my jokes too and they make your day start with a smile
I am fine again. That pic of you and the Policeman looked a bit frightening. Did you see his gun??
Take care, Dave, Regards, Merle.

June 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...I see congratulations and good luck are due? A betta huh? I love mine. He's quite sociable. Depending on where I'm sitting, he's on that side of his tank watching me. I feed him the Hikari Betta Food Gold. 4 pellets 2x a day. Those seem to NOT dirty the tank. Dont like using the flake food.

Anyway...enjoy him. Put a mirror towards him and watch. He'll flare up for battle. I do that once in a while. 8-)

Joanne B.

June 25, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home