Monday, July 20, 2009

235 – Where Were You?

On July 21, 1969 where were you?

I was camping with my family in a truck-camper in Houston, Texas. We brought along a small (sub-13 inch) black and white TV that ran off 12 volts (truck power).

It was a bit after midnight there I believe, and we had brought the TV outside on the picnic table. As we were watching, word got around the campsite that some people had a TV to watch man walk on the moon. By the time Neil Armstrong uttered those famous words, there was a large crowd behind us, silent as could be until that first step, then everyone broke out in applause. I was 13, and in awe as we could easily see the moon from outside that evening. Looking at the moon, then the TV, the moon, and back again.. it was amazing what we were witness to.

It’s something I’ll remember forever, and it feels like it was not so long ago.

Should we now go for Mars?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Curt said...

Mars or Bust!

July 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger bubbanem said...

I am fortunate enough on most weekdays to be able escape the jungle and eat a bite of lunch at home. I was watching CNN today while munching on a sandwich, and they asked the same question. My answer is, "Maybe." I certainly feel we need to set goals for space exploration. Whether that means establishing a McDonald's on the moon, a Motel 6 in earth orbit, or a helipad on Mars, we need some stretch goals. How many kids today recognize that the technology we are using right now was advanced at a breakneck pace because of the space program?

Alternatives? We could tax ourselves to death and have the US Gov't graciously return 25% of that to us in the form of grants. Or, we can go back into our caves and teach our kids to scribe on the walls. Or perhaps we could do both of the latter!?

:-)

July 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but I was not born yet. There is a great picture of my older brother near the TV as it showed the first steps on the moon. He was only about six months old at the time.

Mars, for sure, if it might help our species survive.

July 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I too, want to see us go to Mars. Bubba, you're right when you say look at what we have today because of the space program (other than Tang I mean).

I knew you weren't old enough Mark.. *chuckling* but you'll never know how big a thing it was to us.

July 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I think we all remember
where we were that day. I was at home and my 4 kids were sent home from school to watch it on TV. So I watched with the kids about 1 pm in the afternoon, earlier than in the US.

I hate it when some cynics say it never happened; also the holocaust
never happened. Plenty of evidence to prove them, but the younger ones think because THEY didn't see them they didn't happen.
Take care, my friend, and thanks for your comments. Regards, Merle.

July 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger CAROLDEE said...

What a great Memory Dave.. something I know you will always remember. I only wish there were more moments like that one so positive and hopeful for America. : )

July 22, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home