Monday, November 2, 2009

276 – Another day….

Another Monday.. and another day closer to winter. The leaves are falling off the trees quickly now, they’re golden, yellow, orange, red… and every color in between. They’re beautiful when they’re on the tree, but a nuisance after they’ve fallen. They make for slippery driving when they’re wet, they’re a pain to bag and have disposed of. But.. that’s the price for living in the North-East I guess.

I have to take Thursday and Friday off of work this week to take care of some stuff at home.. but it won’t be a fun thing.

On Mark’s blog (see link at left), he had me thinking about radio, and how my tastes have changed. I used to listen to top 40 for most of my life, but in the last few years, driving to work I listen to newsradio, both for the news, and local traffic because I spend 2/3 of my ride to work on the highway, and I want to know about any accidents on the way so I can avoid them.

Other than that, when at work, I listen to the “John Boy & Billy Big Show”, something that Mark claims he doesn’t care for any longer, but this particular show always makes me laugh. They’re not mean, they’re a couple of good ole boys (northern transplants to the south) trying to be rednecks.  The John Boy & Billy Big Show has been around for a while, and I first found it when I was on a business trip down South for the last company I worked for. I was laughing so hard listening to them one day, I had to pull off the shoulder to compose myself! They also have a person on the show “Robert D. Raiford”, kind of a Southern Andy Rooney.

Now for some famous quotes:

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
Doctor Who

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
Doctor Who

I don't get no respect. I joined Gambler's Anonymous. They gave me two to one I don't make it.
Rodney Dangerfield (as are all the rest)

I tell ya, blind dates never work out. I had a blind date. The girl, she showed up, she was pregnant. What do ya say to a girl that's pregnant?

What have you been doing lately? And she told me she had a fight with her boyfriend. I said, "Look, you tell your boyfriend next time you fight, he should knock you down."

I tell ya, with my wife I got no sex life. Just when I get going, she wakes up.

I tell ya, my wife, she likes to talk during sex. The other night she called me from a motel.

I tell ya, I come from a tough neighborhood. Why, just last week some guy pulled a knife on me. I could see it wasn't a real professional job.
There was butter on it.

I get no respect. I was crossing the street. I got hit by a mobile library. I was lying there in pain, screaming. The guy looked at me. He went, "Shhhh."

I tell ya, I'm not a sexy guy. I was with one girl, I said to her, "Come on honey, I'll show ya where it's at." She said, "You'd better, 'cause the last time I couldn't find it."

Last Christmas I got no respect. I gave my kid a BB gun. He gave me a sweatshirt with a bullseye in the back!

Oh, I was an ugly kid. My old man took me to the zoo. They thanked him for returning me.

I tell ya, a lot of people are in bad shape. A guy stopped me in the street the other day. He told me he hasn't eaten in five days. I told him, I said, "I wish I had your will power."

Anyways, with that I do have to run… but have a wonderful Monday all..!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I also have tried the "Lex and Terry" show, and it's bad, too. They have "drunk girl Friday," (or at least they used to), and it just wasn't funny. On other days, they would field calls from listeners and offer (mostly very bad) relationship advice.

Maybe I'll try to find the guys you mentioned, for when I'm tired of hearing about the Middle East countries fighting each other (the thing I don't like about NPR is that they seem to cover the world too much and not the US enough).

Great funnies today.

November 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I like to hear the news on Radio and TV, but like country music and have a radio station that
plays quite a lot of it.
I am not keen on comedy on radio, as you have to concentrate or miss the
jokes. You have some good ones on this post. Take care, Cheers, Merle.

November 4, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home