Wednesday, October 13, 2010

400 - My First Trip to Europe XVI

Mom update:  Mom’s doing a lot better since I forced the rehab place to check for gout! Now that she’s on the meds, her ankle feels a lot better and she’s able to put weight on it and do some physical therapy!

Germany:

Tuesday morning, I go down for breakfast only once again to find the same stuff: cold cuts, cheese, fresh rolls, jam. No eggs, pancakes, or even a toaster to be found (this is typical of quite a bit of Europe I find). I vow to fix this… and head outside.

I’m waiting for my ride to the office and I’m standing outside of the hotel (remember the weydenhof photo from before?)  and up pulls a beer delivery truck. (note that when I was there, there was a small tree, about 6 inches diameter, on the sidewalk at the forefront of this picture)
Out jump 2 short German guys dressed in farmer jeans looking like Mario and Luigi from Donkey Kong. One stands near the tree, the other unloads full kegs from the back. (for this sake, we’ll call Luigi the one unloading kegs)
Luigi waves to Mario and says “ready”, and Mario yells “Ready” and Luigi rolls a full barrel of beer down the sidewalk to Mario, where it slams into the tree and Mario stops it, tips it up on end and rolls it to the side of the building. This goes on for about 4 more kegs before Luigi comes down and opens a trap door right in the front corner of the building that leads to the basement (if you ‘embiggen’ the picture you can barely see it). Luigi just jumps down there, yells to Mario “Ok?” and with that, Mario drops a keg down this hole. I move closer to get a better look, and notice there’s a mattress at the bottom of the hole to cushion the fall of this heavy keg. Basically, it drops, bounces up about a foot where Luigi grabs it and muscles it to where it needs to be. By now, I’m biting my lip from laughing as I just figured out WHY German beer is so foamy! *LOL*

More Friday…

I do want to share with you, one link my friend Karen sent to me of old pictures of America. Captured America in Color - 1939-1943.

Have a wonderful Hump-Day!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kent said...

Hey, Dave. Just getting caught up on your blog after a rather busy period here at work.

Can we clone that policeman? Your words made me smile and I'm sure you were beaming during his discussions with the hotel manager.

The early 1900's photos of our country certainly tell lots of stories -- without words. Thanks for that link.

October 14, 2010 at 9:04 AM  
Anonymous Mark said...

As I mentioned in e-mail, I loved the image you paint of these keg hauler guys. Just great stuff.

Glad your mom's doing better, thanks to your persistence. I just saw a commercial tonight about a medication to reduce uric acid in the body and prevent gout. I didn't know until then (or didn't remember, rather) what caused gout (or is it the gout?).

October 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks Kent. I can't help thinking of my buds down yonder when I see pictures like that! *S*

Mark, I saw the same commercial I think. It's a real painful thing I'm told, and runs in the family (my mom's mom had gout too).

October 15, 2010 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Just caught up with this post about the rolling kegs beer.
You wouldn't think that would do the beer or the kegs much good.
I am glad your Mom is getting more relief. Gout is SOOOO painful.
How is your mother-in-law?
Take care, Regards, Merle.

October 15, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home