415 – Not much to say, nor time to say it…
It’s going to be a VERY busy week.. and I can only hope to get back here on Wednesday and Friday.
I haven’t started packing yet for my trip, seems like I have a million things to do including visiting Mom.. so if I’m not here, know it’s only because I’m busy.
The movie Skyline came out this weekend, another in the genre of space alien invading Earth movies. Two of my friends saw it and said the first two thirds of the movie was good, then it went straight downhill.
What’s your favorite “Alien Invasion” movies? For me, #1 would have to be The War of the Worlds (original one from the 50’s). After that, would have to be Independence Day and lastly, The Day the Earth Stood Still (if that could be put in this category).
Other than that, it’s been a real busy weekend, and it’s definitely getting colder out now.
Remember, this week is the Leonid Meteor Showers for us in the Northern Hemisphere!
Got to run… enjoy your day!

3 Comments:
I saw "Skyline," too, and it is just about as your other friends described it, but I wouldn't give the full first two-thirds the nod. I would say that the first third is pretty good (the tiny bit of character development takes place here) and then it's spotty throughout. If you've seen War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise version) and Cloverfield, then you really have no reason to see this movie.
Favorite alien invasion movies? I love the original Day the Earth Stood Still. Just saw it for the first time in the past year or so, and it holds up VERY well. I don't know that I've ever seen the original War of the Worlds, but I read the book a long time ago.
Independence Day definitely suffered from the first two-thirds / last third syndrome. (spoiler alert). It was very good until that whole thing about the virus. The nation's top scientists had studied this alien spacecraft for decades, and then along comes Goldblum's character to solve things in about an hour. Maybe they could have shown the progress they had made thus far, and then he provided the last piece. I don't know. Something.
What makes alien invasion movies interesting to me is that some of them tell a story very similar to what Europeans did to the Native Americans. As I have posted before on my own blog, I'm not so sure we want to go out there broadcasting our existence to potentially superior powers that could do exactly what some of these films portend.
Mars Attack!.... LOL... I agree with Mark. Apparently in Independence Day, the mothership's computer was an Apple. I know Apple is big, but I don't think they're THAT big.
Hi Dave ~~ I can just imagine how busy you are, but I am sure you will get it all done and then relax on vacation. I was interested to learn through your link about the Leonid meteor showers. Hope we get a turn in southern hemisphere to see them.
Thanks for your comments. Have a great time my friend. Regards, Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home