406 - My First Trip to Europe XXI
Stuttgart, Germany:
Thursday in the Stuttgart office was quite nice, and everyone was wonderful to me. I met a new friend, Klaus Young, who helped show me around and I worked through the morning.
Around noon, Klaus, Steve and his boss (don’t remember his name) and I went to lunch and had a wonderful meal! The hospitality of these people was just amazing.
Steve came around to see me around 5pm, and said lets head out, and asked me if I wanted to go out to dinner with him, which I jumped at!
He met me at a commuter train station about a block from my hotel, and we headed downtown to an absolutely gorgeous area, and sat down at an outside restaurant. At right is Steve and I enjoying a nice, German Alt bier.
The menu was, of course, in German, so Steve translated for me and I ended up saying “I’ll just have what you have”. He asked if I liked white asparagus, and I said I’d never tried it but I really liked the green version.
The meals we got were called Schweinshaxe, and it was outstanding, as was the white asparagus.
At left is a picture of the meals, (and Steve).
We ate and talked and generally had a wonderful time. Steve was a wonderful host, and the combination of food and beer was just perfect.
I had hardly realized, we were eating a few hundred yards of the Governors Summer Home (see next picture).
Now that’s a time lapse picture so you see some people walking by that look like ghosts if you look closely. What a gorgeous place though.
We sat for a while, talking after dinner, and just people watching.. and I was beginning to reflect on my time in Europe, and all the wonderful friends I had made, and great times I had had.
As we got back to the train station, I noticed a gendarme with a dog, and asked Steve about it. He didn’t have a clue, and asked me to ask him myself.
So…. I go up to this nice gendarme, and ask if he speaks English, to which he says yes, and ask him about his dog.
The dog is a Bouvet, and is an incredibly brave dog that’s being used more and more in law enforcement in Europe.
We spoke for a while before I boarded my train to my hotel, but not before me thanking him profusely for being so nice.
I got off the train the block from my hotel, and surprisingly, even on a very dark street, I felt very safe.
More on Friday….

4 Comments:
Great post! Glad, again, that you went to the trouble to scan in those photos.
Very nice ending to an amazing trip.
Ending? Oh it's far from ended Mark... *S*
Hi Dave ~~ Great post again. Do you
have a thing about nice gendarmes?
That is two. I guess if you ask something nicely, you get a nice
reply. I am still wondering when this trip took place - or did I miss it. Great memories, anyway.
Thanks for your comment about our friend, Peter has been asked to say
something during the service.
That won't be easy. Take care, my
friend, Regards, Merle.
It's a Bouvier de Flandres, not a Bouvet
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home