Monday, October 25, 2010

405 - My First Trip to Europe XX

Germany:

It’s now Thursday, and in work, I’m told they’re renting me a car to drive to Stuttgart, Germany. I’m nervous of course, because I don’t speak German, and I hope I’ll be able to follow the directions to the office there.

About an hour later, while waiting for the car to be dropped off, I’m told there’s a salesman from Stuttgart there and he’ll be going back with me, and I let out a happy sigh.

The guy’s name is Steve Valentine, and he’s a young guy up where I am getting some training. He’s actually from Florida so he speaks English as well as I do (so to speak).

We head to the car and he insists I drive, to get my first taste of “driving at the limit” on nospeedlimitthe autobahn. He explains the speed signs near cities, and shows me what the signs look  like (including the “No Restrictions” sign at right).

With Uebach-Pallenberg in the rear view mirror, the sign appears and Steve looks at me as if to say… “Go for it”. My foot hits the floor and in our brand new Volkswagon Polo, smoothly accelerates past 90, over 100, topping out at around 123 miles per hour. The funny thing is, the autobahn is built so very well, you hardly know you’re going faster than 70. I can truthfully say it’s probably the finest built road on Earth. No potholes, no broken pavement.. perfect. Even banked corners. Steve explains that the far left lane is ONLY for passing. If you stay there, you’ll be arrested.

Blasting down the road, I see a slower car ahead, and absolutely nobody in my rear view mirror, I turn on my signal to get into the left lane to pass. 20 seconds later, I’m moving right again with an extremely fast Mercedes on my tail flashing it’s lights to move over! I’m like a kid now.. loving every minute of this.

Sadly though, after around 350 Kilometers, we arrive in Stuttgart.

More on that, and pictures on Wednesday!

2 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ So the Autobahn is
one of the best ever roads.
No restrictions speed limit is amazing. Guess they don't have too many accidents or they would introduce limits.
Take care my friend. Peter
arrived today for the funeral Friday.Regards, Merle

October 27, 2010 at 7:13 AM  
Anonymous Mark said...

Wow. What a road and what a ride.

Did you have the theme song to "Cannonball Run" in your head?

October 27, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home