Monday, February 25, 2008

About 34 Years Ago....

My mom's best friend as far back as I can remember, was a Catholic Nun we nicknamed 'Sis'. She used to teach in the grammar school me and my brother went to (he had her for a class, I never did) and we saw her often.
Then, she moved to a place in Massachusetts, and we saw her a few times a year.
Her school, once a year, had a big fund-raising event called "The Petersham Bazaar", after the town they were in (Petersham). We went up for a long weekend every Fall to help out. Often, we'd take a friend of mine to help. It didn't hurt much, that it was an "all girls high school". (insert way fake smile here)
Well, we would go, work our tails off for 3 days, and come home exhausted... but, we had fun too. Did I mention, it was an all girl's high school? Usually, my friend and I got to meet some very nice young ladies too, but that's another story.
Mom used to sleep in the building with the nuns, and me, my dad, and my friend if I brought one, slept in our truck-camper.

My mom got a packet of pictures in the mail this week from "Sis", and in them, was the one below.

meanddad

That's my dad, me, and my friend Lonnie to the right just out of the picture after a long night working. Date on the back of the picture, September, 1974. I was 18.

This picture brought back some great memories for me.....

(I understand what you said Peter.... )

On to the news:

First, it was canned burgers. Now, it's hot dogs from a vending machine

1943 Guide on "How to hire a woman"

That's it for today.. have a great Monday all...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the pictures yesterday at Ma's house, boy we were good looking kids when we were young. You have to show everyone the pic of you and me in our new madras blazers...wowww. A real blast from the past.

February 25, 2008 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

*LOL* Yeah... I saw that picture.... I'll have to get it from her.

February 25, 2008 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Memories of our youth, always good Dave.

February 25, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Whoa. Classic photo there. All-girls high school, eh? In Little Rock, there's one called Mount Saint Mary's. Disregarding the more sacrilegious puns, I will just say that it was often referred to as "Mount Saint Mattress."

February 25, 2008 at 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that old pic of your dad and friend! But, best of all are the comments about the pic! *grin*

Hey, when you run short of pics to post, i'd vote for one of you as a kid!

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

February 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love loking back shows us how far we have come in life. Makes one think of what we have to come too,
Hey Dave.. got any idea what is going on over to TRucker BOB's??. been there and no blessed page will load. is it me or what?? Getting worried indeed over his plight>> including my e mail so you can let me know. I sent e mails to JUDE too and no answer yet. Thanks.. andsoitgoeson@hotmail.com

February 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved seeing that old pic of you, your father and your friend. ~smile~

I had a madras blazer too! Every one in awhile madras and its cousin, tye dyed, try to make a come back but it never quite catches on.

Reba

February 25, 2008 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thanks for the visit and I am glad you found the jokes funny.
I see the picture of your Dad and
your friend. You don't look too energetic though. All that hard work or was it the girls? It was great to see Trucker Bob back even briefly. Take care, Best Wishes, Merle.

February 26, 2008 at 6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home