Wednesday, March 26, 2008

58 Silent Key, N1EPU ···-·-

In HAM radio, ···-·- (di-di-di-dah-di-dah) means "end of contact, end of transmission”.

I have 3 people really to thank for my current career in computers:

Steve Lynn, my best friend at the time, who showed me his father's Commodore VIC-20, and got me interested in it and caused me to buy my own, leading to many more computers.

Kevin Webster, who I met at a class on the Commodore 64, and talked me into teaching adult education classes "introduction to the Commodore 64" then on to many more classes on PC operating systems (from as far back as DOS 3, DOS 5, Windows 3.1.. etc) and classes of Computer Technologies.

Gary Warner, who took a chance on hiring me into my first IT job, knowing I had no prior experience other than what I learned on my own, and the teaching I did at a high school at night.

I'm going to skip past Steve and Gary for now.

After getting my Commodore 64, (we’re talking in the early 1980’s) with a whopping 64k of memory, I spent many a nights typing in programs from magazines, debugging them when they didn't work, and learning the BASIC programming language. At about that time, someone mentioned to me that Southington High School (SHS) in the next town over, actually had a class at nights on the C-64. I signed up, and the first night, I met the teacher, Kevin Webster, a very bright, happy-go-lucky guy who put everyone at ease. He was one year younger than me.

It turns out that what he was teaching was incredibly simple things that I already knew, and I ended up helping him teach, giving a hand to some people that truly didn't have a clue. We instantly became friends, and he asked me why don't I teach one of the classes, as he always had way more people signing up than slots available. He encouraged me, and offered his help in any way, including giving me a copy of his lesson plan, and coming to the first few of my own classes just to sit back and watch. I loved it. I ended up teaching computers classes for 13 years after that.

A bunch of people in the surrounding towns from me started up a Commodore 64 club, called BAUD, and at my request, Kevin joined. We heard from one of the C-64 magazines about an enormous computer show in Trenton, New Jersey and a few of us decided to make the trek of about 180 miles, leaving at about 4am. Kevin was the driver of this first trek, and we were like children in a candy store. The show was indeed massive, and we found our first "BIG" deal, a 2400 baud modem for $99 when at the time, they were normally up in the $200 price range.

We attended this Trenton show for about 6 years in a row, always having such a wonderful time, we were sad when it was over and looked forward to next year.

My wife and I at the time became friends with he and his wife, and 4 wonderful daughters, Leah, Ashley, Mallory and Marlene. We often joked about him living in a rent with one bathroom, and 5 girls! Soon after, I helped him move out of his apartment and into their own home.

Kevin was a HAM radio operator (N1EPU), as were a few people in the BAUD computer club. I was getting interested in it, and Kevin offered his help in any way he could, including practicing Morse code with me, and lending me his manual for the Novice class license exam.

Soon, I had passed the written test and Kevin had suggested I take the code test even though I hadn't memorized every letter yet (I had to be able to copy 5 words per minute, for 5 minutes).

I took the test, and passed. I was a HAM Radio Operator. 5 weeks later, I got a letter in the mail from the FCC granting me license KA1TBE. I instantly fired up my first radio that I had bought (used) and made 4 contacts. The first, was in Cuba, and the gentleman was so happy to have been my very first contact, he sent me in the mail not only his QSL card, but post cards from his area, and information on Cuba and his HAM club. The first person I called after my contact, was Kevin.

Less than a year later, I passed a written test for my next level HAM radio license, and got a new call, N1GUF.

Kevin and I, and a few other friends got together once or twice a year or so to do some HAM radio contests, and we always had a great time.

In the past 4 or 5 years, I hadn't heard much from Kevin, as he was very busy with work, he had daughters getting married, had a new grandchild.. the things that cause us all to be busy. The internet was quickly taking over from HAM radio as our primary interest.

Fast forward to Tuesday night (March 24). I got a call from my friend Dave (also a HAM), telling me that in the new issue of the magazine put out by the American Radio Relay League (home to HAM radio in the US), that N1EPU was a Silent Key. A Silent Key meant that the person had passed away.

I was astounded. I was in shock.

Even worse was when I found out he passed away on June 1, 2007, and I never knew. Kevin was very active in his church, and with helping kids. He was a role model for many. And he was gone. I felt a tremendous wave of sorrow and grief that I didn’t get to say goodbye.

I didn't sleep at all the night I found out. I keep wishing I had talked to him, known he was ill. I wish I could have told him what he's meant to me. What he's done for me. But it's too late. I spoke to his wife today (Tuesday), and I had to bite my lip to keep from crying on the phone. She told me of a blog he created, when he found out he had pancreatic cancer, stage IV. I started reading it, and was in tears. I want to read it.. to hear his voice in my head once more, but right now, it's too tough.

With that, I ask that you get in touch with an old friend you haven't spoken to in ages.  Ask how they’re doing. Remove barriers from the past. Break the ice.

Life is too short.

73's my dear friend.... (73’s = Best Regards in HAM radio parlance )

···-·-

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Wow, Dave. That was very moving.

I sat here trying not to cry out loud with my son sleeping in the next room.

So sorry to hear about your friend. This post makes me feel better about the recent efforts I've made and inspires me to do more to find people and stay in touch. Maybe I'm not ashamed of my Myspace and Facebook pages, after all. Although they haven't put me back in touch with anybody I miss, connections always help.

Again, sorry to hear about Kevin. You guys obviously had a special friendship.

March 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

A timely reminder Dave.

March 26, 2008 at 7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Dave, i'm so very sorry to hear this and what he meant to you! That's frequently a problem - that we assume that everyone stays the same. i'm glad you called his widow, remember to stay in touch with her. Later, once she's over the awful shock of it all...take her out to lunch and then both of you can reminisce about him...she'll thank you for that!

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

March 26, 2008 at 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends are golden. And sometimes we take them for granted. Thanks for the reminder that we shouldn't. There are people I'd like to talk to again. I think I'll try harder now...

Take care, friend
Curt

March 26, 2008 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss; he was an incredible man. I don't have to know him personally to know that because it came from every word you wrote about him.

With losing my friend recently, I know how you feel about not talking to Kevin recently. It's difficult not to feel guilty about it, however, Kevin wouldn't want you to feel guilty. My feeling is that he wanted you to remember him as he was before he became ill. He wants you to treasure the good times you had and focus on that.

You will be able to read his blog in time, but for now, treasure the memories you have of Kevin. I'm sure it meant the world to his wife that you called.

Life is precious...

Lots of HUGS, my friend.

March 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger melanee said...

Dave:
You really showed who Kevin is.
What a wonderful tribute!
Please don't have reqrets. Your call was comforting and helped me count one more person that he influenced for the good.
Kev's wife-Melanee

March 26, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home