Friday, July 11, 2008

101 Memories of a Not-So Distant Past

I got an email from my good friend "Bubba" today. Bubba is the name I use for my dear friend Kent Herrington, formerly from Pulaski, Tennessee, now from somewhere up in Kentucky (probably some town named something like Podunk).

I met Kent when I worked for my former company and I used to do a lot of traveling. See, Kent is an Engineer who thinks he's an IT person (or at least he did at the time). Truth be told, I think after knowing Kent, that most IT people should get an engineering degree. Not only is he one of the most personable people I've ever met, but he's got a wonderful wit, great smile and always makes you feel like family. When we first met, I was wondering what an Engineer was doing working in the IT department. I soon came to look up on Kent as not only a friend, but as a fantastic IT asset to our company. Did he miss being an Engineer.. I would say yes, as he eventually did go back to it, after letting a manager's son (Bubba Jr.) take over the IT reigns. Even after that, Kent was always willing to help, even when I was hundreds of miles away with a server totally mucked up, on a Sunday morning, he went into work while I faxed him some changes that had to be made (that he could do remotely), and he spent his Sunday away from his family, helping me and my bud Curt.

The picture below is of Kent sitting on the floor in the server room where we worked at about 3am one late night when we were doing a server operating system upgrade. bubba

(bet you didn't think I still had that Kent!)

We spent a lot of time together, working, talking about our kids, our jobs, Tennessee.. everything you can think of.

His email today touched on the need to keep in touch with those "special" friends we've met and shared our lives with over time. He also mentioned that he missed working with me as I do him, and I hope beyond all hopes, that I will shake his hand in person one more time again.

Another story about the first time I met Kent.. I called to tell him I'd be coming down to meet him for the first time, and he told me he'd book a room for me at "the luxuriously appointed Richland Inn". Me, not knowing his sense of humor yet, pictured a Grand Southern Hotel, with sweeping stairways in the front door, and Rhett Butler posing on the front steps. Instead, I found a place that made a Motel 6 look like heaven.

One of my favorite things to do in Pulaski, was actually something I did on my own. Finding a nice road for a ride on a warm summer evening. Kent, do you know the road from Pulaski to Lawrenceburg? (rt 64) I used to love opening all the windows in the car, blasting some great music and cruising down this wonderful windy road. It's about a 20 mile drive, but it's a "country" twenty mile drive with no stoplights, no stop signs.. nothing. Ok, there was that restaurant Kent took me to once.. was it the Blue Light, or Blue Lantern???

Once, in December I was in Pulaski working. I got up one morning to see a light dusting of snow on the ground. I got to my rental car and noticed, "no ice scraper". Oh well, I just let the car warm up and defrost the snow/ice from the windshield. I go to the factory, and find NO cars in the parking lot! I thought it was a holiday or something before someone at the front door tells me that the plant was closed for the day. When I inquired as to why, they looked at me like I was from the moon and said "why, the snow.. of course!" like I should have known. Ok, so they don't have sanding trucks, or snow plows.. but the snow wasn't deep enough to lose a quarter if you dropped it!  Kent had a good laugh over this.

He's not the only one from my work days that I miss. Curt, from Spindale N.C. is another friend I hope I get to see again. The other person, would be Tim Chavis, from Union S.C.

All four of us know each other pretty well, but I spent more time with each of them, than they did with each other. More on the other 2 another time.

Kent, I miss you bud. You are and always will be my friend.

Have a great weekend all.

6 Comments:

Blogger bubbanem said...

Well, Dave, you sure know how to make a guy smile in the early hours of the day. I don't know if it is the aging process, or the change in locale, but comraderie just doesn't seem what is was in the past. But on the other hand, since the big T, I haven't spent another 14 years with a single organization. Perhaps I should thank Jim P. for succumbing to your pressure to host thoses annual pilgrimages to Atlanta.

Methinks the Tennessee eatery was, "Brass Lantern." You'll be dismayed to hear that the state is in the process of replacing that stretch of US64 with a 4-lane.

Now, get in that server room and cook up a posting describing the times we disagreed! (Hmmm...I don't recall any of those either)

Wishing you 'Vette weather for the weekend.

Bubba .... er, uhm ... Kent

July 11, 2008 at 8:08 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

*chuckling*
Kent.. you're one of a kind bud.

When my fat was in the fire, you always helped bail me/us out.

The fun in Atlanta was.... well, what happens in Atlanta, stays in Atlanta! *LOL*

Thanks for the kind wishes my friend.

July 11, 2008 at 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWWW that is special DAVE you have some wonderful memories. I think you should plan a trip and make a little reunion tour and get caught up with your "BUDS" LIFE IS SHORT.. go for it!! : )

July 11, 2008 at 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too think that you should make a trip or two to get reacquainted with some of your "olde" buds!

i really enjoyed reading this, Dave...you did an excellent job of bringing us closer to understanding close male friendships! It was cool!

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

July 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post!

~smile~
Reba

July 12, 2008 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Very cool to see the man behind the nickname.

Good story, Dave. Can't say I have any similar stories about people with whom I have worked. I just never really have become close to any of them. At least, not anything like what you did with Bubba.

July 13, 2008 at 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home