383 - My First Trip to Europe II
The rest of that day, I spent going to the Fodors website (travel people) learning as much as I could about these countries before going. Of main importance were the big ones (Please, Thank you, One Beer Please, and Where’s the bathroom!).
In speaking to Bernd, it sounded like he was to be with me through my complete European tour, which was good for me because being my first time, I was quite intimidated just thinking of being left somewhere on my own.
Friday I spent at the Passport office, which is about 50 miles from my house and work. It would have been worthless to go back to work after bringing the paperwork as I would have had to turn around and go right back down. I arrived at 7:30am when they opened, handed in my paperwork and photos and began the long wait. I walked around a mall nearby, had lunch, read a few magazines.. *yawn* and at 4:30pm, they brought out the passports. Of course, they handed mine out last. I looked at my photo, and then looked closer. There was a long, black hair right across my face. The passport agent saw me looking as I tried to slip the hair out of the lamination, then asked me to see it. After looking at it for 10 seconds, she tore my passport in half saying it was no good. I almost fainted. She told me that’s why they have the second photo, and she’d be right back. At 5:10pm, she came out with it and I didn’t even bother to look at it as I ran out the door.
Saturday, I was shopping for things for the trip. Power adapters, a book to read for the flight, snacks, toiletries.
Sunday, visiting mom and dad, letting them know where I was going and how I’d stay in touch. Sunday afternoon, I boarded a bus heading to New Yorks JFK Airport for my 5pm flight to Charles de Gaulle airport.
More Friday… on to something funny:
Can’t Take The Heat Of A Melting Pot
RETAIL | TROIS-RIVIÈRES, QC, CANADA
Coworker: “Hello sir, are you looking for something?”
Customer: “I refuse to be helped by you. You’re Chinese. You’re another one of these darn immigrants stealing the honest Canadian’s jobs!”
Coworker: “Well, my grandmother is from Japan, but I assure you I was born in the province of Quebec.”
Customer: “Lies, lies and lies!” *spots me* “Finally, a prime example of our good Canadian youth. Young sir, can you help me please?”
Me: *in my New Brunswick accent* “Sure I can. What are you looking for?”
Customer: “What kind of accent is this? Are you German? Or Russian? Get me the manager! I don’t understand how a sane person could hire these instead of a hard working Canadian!”
Me: *grabbing the phone* “Calling Maria to front desk.”
Customer: “Maria!? That’s Latino!”
Read Her Lips
SUPERMARKET | BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA
(I am scanning a customer’s order when I notice she is buying a $30 lip-gloss that is also being given away with a magazine).
Me: "Miss, if you’d like to buy [magazine] for $7.20, you get this exact lip-gloss free inside."
Customer: "But I don’t want the magazine. I just want the lip-gloss."
Me: "I understand, but even if you give the magazine away, you still get the lip-gloss for $7.20 and save $22.80."
Customer: "Do I look like a charity? I’m not going to give away a $7 magazine. Haven’t you heard of saving money?"
Me: "Well yes, what I’m saying is you can save money by buying the magazine–"
Customer: "Stop trying to rip me off and scan my lip-gloss!"
(I ring up her lip-gloss for $30 and she storms off. The next customer puts the same magazine on the counter.)
Next Customer: "I don’t want it either, but I have half a brain."
Have a great Hump-Day!

2 Comments:
Nice job on the passport. I just got mine this year, and they had a backup photo "just in case."
I look forward to reading more.
Hi Dave ~~ I bet you nearly had a fit when she tore up the passport.
I wonder if they all do back-up photos. Loved the Lip Gloss joke.
You can't educate some people.
Looking forward to more of your travels. Take care, Best Wishes,
Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home