Friday, December 10, 2010

420 – Bitter Cold - Hot Shrimp

It was 9 degrees F when I left home Friday morning! Holy moly…. Winter is here already! Snow is predicted for Sunday. I want to go back on the cruise!

Aruba. A little piece of Walt Disney-ish looking buildings in the South Caribbean. If youIMG_2231 think I’m kidding, look at the buildings to the right! Aruba (as well as Curacao and Bonaire) are Dutch islands, and therefore aren’t your typical Caribbean island(s).

Pastel buildings of all kinds that look straight from Disney World await. Actually, the second floor of the left side of the pink building, is a great restaurant that I always go to in Aruba, called Iguana Joe’s Caribbean Bar & Grill. They make an outstanding Coconut Shrimp dish and serve Balashi beer. Life was good as the sweet shrimp fought the coconut and Balashi for time on my tongue. We sat overlooking the main street in Oranjestad, able to see our cruise ship less than a hundred yards away.IMG_2234b

It was in Aruba that we bought our daughter a gorgeous Alexandrite ring. Now, if you’ve never seen Alexandrite.. look it up. It’s probably the most rare gemstone on Earth. I was so excited for her, I couldn’t wait to get home to show it to her! (pics coming later)

It was Thanksgiving day, and we headed back to the ship for a sumptuous Thanksgiving meal of Turkey and all the fixings for dinner. We weren’t disappointed.

Well, time is short, so I’ll stop here and say have a great weekend everyone…!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Thanksgiving on a ship? Cool. Now only if it were called Mayflower.

"the sweet shrimp fought the coconut and Balashi for time on my tongue"

Nice turn of phrase.

December 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

*LOL* I thought you'd like that... came from one of my favorite books.

December 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Mike H said...

I love Iguana Joe's
Did you make it to Carls and Charlie's?
I'm still bummed that I was not in Maui for Thanksgiving, but did I mention where I'll be for New Year's?

December 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Mike H said...

Carlos and Charlie's
damn keys stick a bit

December 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home