Friday, December 17, 2010

423 – The Christmas Season & Pineapples

Yes, the Christmas Season, not “Holiday”. I’m not trying to offend anyone of any other faith, but I’m sorry, since as long as I could remember, it was the Christmas Season, and Merry Christmas, not Happy Holidays. That’s just me.

Enough ranting.

This has been a rough year for me, for reasons I won’t go into here in public, but suffice it to say, I truly hope 2011 is a lot better… for everyone.

More on the cruise:

Next stop, was Costa Rica where we took a tour of a Pineapple Plantation. It was a family IMG_2378 run place, with thousands of acres of pineapples being grown mostly for Del Monte.

As soon as we arrived, they had fresh cut pineapple for us to try at the visitors center, and it was incredibly sweet and delicious.

IMG_2401

 

 

 

To the left, are the pineapples, freshly washed, ready to ship to Del Monte.

One building packed them whole, while another building cut them into rings, chunks and even made some dehydrated pineapple!IMG_2408

To the right, are the women who stand all day and cut the rind off of the pineapple and make rings or chunks.

They don’t have standard “hours”, but an amount they need to produce before they can go home, so you can see if someone is out, it can create havoc in their hours!

 

More coming soon… have a wonderful weekend!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

I never would have predicted that canned pineapple was cut by hand. Cool inside look at the process.

I, too, hope your 2011 goes better than your 2010.

December 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home