Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Photographs and Memories

I think there was an album by that name... (yes, I know it's an album by the late Jim Croce).

I was a skinny kid, until probably around 1985, then I "filled out".. *cough, cough*. My daughter was born in 1981, and at that time, my wife and I didn't want her in day care, and luckily we were in a position where my wife could go to second shift, and with me on first shift, one of us would always be with our new daughter. So, after work, I'd rush home, give my wife a quick kiss, and watch her slip out of the apartment quickly so as not to cause a fuss with the baby. Usually, when I got home, Sarah was in her high chair occupied with Cheerios or something else. After dinner, we'd play till she want to bed around 8pm.

After that, I'd wait for my wife to get home and we'd go to bed together (she was home by about 10:30 0r so).

Did I mention, I had long hair back then? *LOL*sarahdave
Click on any picture to 'embiggen'.

Sarah just loved sitting and playing with her dad.. she would venture around the room on her hands and knees, constantly looking back at me as if to say "am I going too far Dad?". Oh, by the way, that picture was taken in early 1982 I would guess.

At the time, up till not too long after my son was born, we owned a camper and it was permanently at a place up in Massachusetts where we'd go most weekends from Spring to the Fall. My parents and my brother and sister in law also had campers there.

camping
The picture at right, was a few years later at my parents camper, and are from left:

Dad, Mom with our son Mike, my wife, and "Sis" that I spoke about in Monday's post. She came to visit us at our camp often, as Petersham wasn't too far away.

We made many great friends at the campground, they had a beautiful, Olympic sized pool, a nice restaurant, and plenty of things to do. Our campsites were close enough, but not too close. My camper was straight out behind my parents, one block  back, and my brother and sister in laws was 2 lots past my parents.

meandbruce

Lastly, here's a picture of my brother and I, around the same time (mid 1985). I still don't understand how some people think we look alike! *LOL*

Either way, this was another small look into my past... I hope you enjoyed!

 

On to the news:

Archeologists find 5,500 year old structure in Peru, almost as old as time itself

Just the one for today... have a great Hump-Day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Excellent post, Dave. Touching, heartwarming, and all that mushy stuff guys seem to think they should avoid.

I love that you guys made it work by grinding out separate shifts. Very cool that you were able to get that scheduled and make it work for your nascent family.

Campers and campgrounds in general are pretty cool, in my book. I grew up camping, canoeing (sp?), and doing all types of outdoor things. I just wish we could be doing more of it with Ben.

Maybe one day.

February 26, 2008 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger bubbanem said...

Hey, thanks for the glimpse of your past. We enjoyed camping when the kids were a bit younger ... you've almost persuaded me to do pic post of some of our adventures.

And Dave, we don't consider you filled out, but simply much more of a man than you were in the '80's.

HA!

February 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say, NICE BIB OVERALLS!!

February 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

I agree with Mark...great post.

Bubbanem has it right...you're just more of a man. *S*

Mike H stole my line...matching bibbers!

February 28, 2008 at 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what beautiful memories are embedded in those pictures! Love to see pics of you. The one with the long hair actually caused me to laugh...i hate to admit that...but it did!

Thanks so much for sharing those!

Yours,

michelle (lil o)

February 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful "Photographs and Memories". Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Reba

February 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home