104 Ok Curt, Your Turn!
Curtis Rice.
He's the Network/PC guy at the (formerly Torrington) Shiloh Plant, in Rutherfordton, N.C.
I first talked to Curt on the phone probably back in 1990 at some point, to tell him that I was going to come down and help in the installation of the network down there. Maybe it was 1991... those years are all fuzzy now *chuckling*.
When I met Curt, the first thing you notice, is that he's a big guy. The funny thing is though, I have no idea, even at his size, how he fits that big heart in there. He's got the biggest heart, the most calm demeanor, and widest smile of probably anyone I've ever met in my life. Curt is a devout Southern Baptist, and is heavily (no pun intended) involved in his Church. Curt, if you post a comment here, please post the link to your Church, I don't have it on my laptop. Curt is also a talented artist, and web designer which you'll see if you visit the site for his Church. If I can find them, in a future post, I'll post some of the drawings he's done. I am forever envious of his talent.. he has a hand and eye that I'll never have. He has a wonderful, beautiful wife, Marilyn who I've met a few times. If anyone can possibly be sweeter than Curt, she's it. Curt also has a dog, and I hope he'll post the info about her.
Curt and I have also had a few late-night work sessions where we've been in the server room well past 2am waiting to load just one more thing before leaving.
When once, I was working in a different plant and had a problem, Curt drove about 60 miles to meet me, to bring me a CD that I needed badly for an install.
Once, long ago, we were working and while walking by another employee's desk, Curt made some mention of "Pickled Peaches". Just the thought of those two words together made my mouth pucker and a bad look like it'd taste awful. I laughed and said "Pickled Peaches? You have GOT to be kidding!". Nope, he swore it was true.. that Southern people ate Pickled Peaches. I got a good laugh out of it, and we worked the rest of the afternoon. The next morning, Curt was late coming in but never said why. We worked all morning, and after lunch, before going back to work he said he had to stop at the store. I followed him in, and darn if he didn't find a jar of Pickled Peaches and bought them for me! He told me that he spent the morning looking for some fresh ones for me, but couldn't so this was the next-best thing. I promised to take them home and try them with my family.
Upon arriving home, I went to my dad's house, and my brother was there, and we all decided to give this... strange Southern delicacy a try.
Personally, to me...... THEY WERE AWFUL! *LOL* But my son loved them. I couldn't imagine anyone pickling peaches.
Now... as Curt asked in my last post's comments:
Has anyone BUT Curt heard of Pickled Peaches???? (Bubba, you don't count as you know this story!)
Have a great weekend all!

9 Comments:
Ya know, Dave, you need to come on back south someday. Perhaps Tim or Curt did, but I know I didn't introduce you to chiggers. You can't be an official honorary Suth'ner without one dose of chiggers.
:-)
*LOL* Aren't chiggers some kind of bad thing that bites you????
Oh, the ole chiggers ... I'll just point you to this article -- it's an easy read.
Now that's just plain disgusting Bubba!!!
And here I thought it was some kind of Bubba-like food.
I've heard of pickled peaches, but I've never tried them. Not sure I've ever been in the same room with them. My grandmother prepared some southern specialties, but not usually the really freaky ones like this. She jarred some mean pickled green tomatoes, though. Man, those were goooood.
Cool post about your friend. Would that we all expressed our true feelings about our buddies while they're still around to hear it.
Dave... sweet of you to say all of that true stuff...*L*. Yep, I've had a chigger or two in my life. Y'all check this out http://www.spencerbaptist.com ... going back to sleep. Went to the midnite showing of The Dark Knight and it was so stunning I couldn't even sleep.
Pickled peaches, huh? Nope, can't rightly say i've had the pleasure. But, since i LOVE pickled watermelon rinds, i am sure to like pickled peaches.
Bring some down, and i'll let you know what i think of 'em!
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
Hi Dave ~~ I was sure I left a comment here last night, ending with I didn't fancy pickled peaches.
Thanks for your comments and I assure you I do treasure my friends, and also my blogging friends. Glad you enjoyed the jokes etc. Take care,
Regards, Merle.
Wonderful story.
By the way, this is one Southerner that does not like pickled peaches. ~ugh~
Reba
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home