113 - Jobs I've Had VIII (to current day)
I worked for The Torrington Company for 11 years total. There's never been any other place like that in my life, that I felt so part of the place. The people, they were like family. When a spat arose, people never held a grudge, they forgave and moved on, just like in a family. It was special.
It broke my heart beyond words when I got laid off, but it was a good thing in a way, as big layoffs were yet to come, and some of the people have had a hard time recovering from it.
I got laid off in February of 2001. It was a time that jobs were extremely hard to find. I was out of work for 7 months, longer than I had ever been out of work in my life. I hated collecting unemployment. I was depressed. 'nuff said.
I had applied at the University of Connecticut Health Center (shown in the picture at right, click to embiggen)
I had also applied to CIGNA (insurance company) which was right in my town. I went for an interview, and the supervisor there told me "you seem overqualified.. I'd hate to hire you only to have you leave for somewhere else in 6 months". I told her I was looking for a home. That I wasn't interested in going anywhere else after I worked there. She hired me and I was back to work. Better yet, my commute was about 1 mile. The people there were nice, I made friends with the two younger IT people there, but there were two other guys there, while younger than me, they kept to themselves a lot and I didn't push it.
After being there for 1 month, I got a call for an interview at UCONN. I went, they told me what they were looking for, told them my qualifications, and they said they'd get back to me. I got a call for a second interview, and they told me they wanted to hire me, and would send a letter of intent to my house. I waited, and when I got it.. I was worried of how to tell my boss at Cigna, where I'd only been for 4 weeks. The reason I wanted to work at UCONN, was the benefits. It's a State of CT job, with incredible health care benefits, my son could go to college at UCONN for free, and when I retire (after a minimum of 10 years of service), my health benefits would continue to be paid. That last benefit alone was enough to sell me. I wrote up the benefits of the job, and showed them to my supervisor at CIGNA, apologizing profusely, and telling her truthfully that I hadn't applied anywhere after my job at CIGNA. She understood, and wished me well.
So, I've been at UCONN for 7 years, and I'm hoping I retire from here. It's not Torrington, but it's a good job and for the most part, the people are ok.
So there it is... 36 years of my jobs laid out for your consideration.
Have a wonderful weekend all...!

6 Comments:
May have been a good thing you ended up where you did. It may not be Torrington, but it ain't "Torrington" here anymore, either. Not that it's bad, but it's a much tighter ship than it was. Not sure a free-wheeler like you would have flourished.
Interesting that your friend Curt says you are a free wheeler...i wonder what he meant? *smile* i've never seen you as a freewheeler, but then, i do not know you at the job site. Let me know what you think he meant, will 'ya? *grin*
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
I have to be honest.... I haven't a clue what he meant...
I had not as yet had the urge to take a bite out of that particular Apple. See....I read your Twitter.
~smile~
Reba
Could have sworn I commented on this one. Guess in my rush to get out of town I forgot.
I like the way you handled the insurance company job that you quickly left for another. I did something similar, but the company was not quite as understanding. They had bought out the remainder of my contract with the temp agency and hired me as their first IT employee (they had outsourced to a local consulting firm before that). Within a very short time I left for a job I had applied for at, coincidentally enough, the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. The benefits were just too good to pass up for a young couple not making much money.
Hi Dave ~~Definitely too many goodies to turn down - the health insurance
etc. When do you plan to retire?
Take care, Regards, Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home