Monday, August 4, 2008

111 - Jobs I've Had VI

I actually forgot about one job I had before Seneca Spring. I worked at a place called Wasley Products, which made antique decorative lamps, both indoor and outdoor versions. It was a pretty hazardous job, as there were many large vats of chemicals that burbled and bubbled and you'd have to take a lamp frame, on a wire and dip it in this tank, then that tank, then another tank.. then it came out kind of burnt bronze looking. Then you'd take a piece of scotch-brite and rub it, and it's give it the antique look.  When you were done, you'd then dip it once more to clean it, then into a clear lacquer. I didn't work there long, maybe 2 months or less.. and that's why I probably forgot it.

Now, post Seneca Spring, I worked at Associated Spring, where my brother worked. I worked in a great area, with some great people. It was a union shop and it was my first ever dealing with a union. After being there about 2 years however, I got laid off in a round of cutbacks. I went back to work at Seneca Spring (he called me), and it was just different there now. The "Fun" had gone from the place. I get the feeling that Joe wasn't happy working there either. I was there about 6 more months before I got called back to Associated Spring. Less than 3 months after I left Seneca Spring, Joe had sold it to another spring company.

This time, I was at Associated Spring for about 5 years, even going to some specialized union training in Michigan. I learned all about how and why unions were needed in the US, and all the good they did for us. I also know there are some extremely bad unions.

Think of this though. Do you enjoy vacation time? Thank the unions for that. Do you like health care through your employer? Thank the unions for that too. How about mandatory lunch/dinner breaks? Same thing. Almost every good benefit you have at work, was something that unions forced management to do for the worker.

At around the 5 year time however, I could see that Associated Spring was going to ship out the machines I worked on, to a Canadian plant. The rumors swirled.

More on Wednesday... I hope you have a wonderful Monday!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very interesting...someday, i should make a list of all the jobs i held. The longest was 15 years, the shortest two weeks!

It's amazing as to what forms our work ethic, and such.

Looking forward to hearing more and more, Dave!

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

August 4, 2008 at 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI.jobs oh so many I admire you for being able to remember all of it. I had to journal all mine or I would forget the whole thing. heheh.. yeah I know.. hope your week is swell.. : )

August 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

That is very interesting about the unions starting what many of us now take for granted and that they often are the first things we ask about in an interview (I mean, after the stuff that actually gets you the job).

August 5, 2008 at 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work history is a heck of a lot more interesting than mine.

~smile~
Reba

August 5, 2008 at 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home