Wednesday, July 30, 2008

109 - Jobs I've Had IV

Seneca Spring was in a building owned by one of the oldest families of Southington, one town over from Bristol. The building was actually in a town called Plantsville, but it was part of Southington. Why I mention this... I have no idea.

This was the epitome of the "Mom and Pop" shops, with the owner being the president, vice president, secretary when  needed and taught me how to set up "coiler" spring making machines.

To clarify, there are basically 3 types of spring machines. Coilers (that I worked on), Torsion (that my dad worked on) and Four-Slide (that my brother worked on, but not at this company).

Coilers can make:

Compression springs, like the ones at right (I've made many like those below.. I mean hundreds of thousands to millions of them).

 

Extension springs, like those at left (and I've made many of these too) and lastly, Coiler machines could also make, to some extent, torsion springs like those to the right below.

The machine that makes these springs, was actually pretty easy to operate, and I caught on quickly.

In no time, I was operating 9 Coilers myself. Set up, test, operate. Keep in mind, that it's not just making the springs, they all have certain weights they should carry whether it be any of the three kinds. Specialized inspection machines are used to make sure they're done right. I'm sure this is bringing back memories for my brother.

Now, my bosses name was Joe, and during the time I worked there, he was like a second father to me. Seriously, even though my own dad worked there, Joe watched out for me as much as my own dad did. He was a mentor, and a good friend even though he was a lot older than me. The other funny thing about Joe, was he loved Rock music like most of the kids at the time. I was shocked when he told me one of his favorite movies was Eddie and the Cruisers!

Well, I was starting to do just about every job there. If my dad was out, I ran the torsion machines (my dad worked on torsion spring machines). I couldn't set them up well, but I could run them if they were set up. I also set up kick-presses when needed. Joe had a unique way of looking at the work week. We worked 9 hours a day, Monday through Thursday, then half a day Friday.

After a few years, we were all a pretty close knit family there. I was, at any one time the Coiler man, secretary when she was out and the phone rang (we kept the office door open for just such an occasion), vice president (I had to play one for a customer), to heat treater and plumber when things went wrong. It was fun.. I admit it. I saw many people come and go while I was there, and for a time, I even had Steve working there helping me in the coilers. Literally, I made over a million springs a week, something nobody in any other spring company in the area did. One reason, is we had one very high speed machine that could honestly make over 30,000 springs an hour. They came off the machine in a line that looked like they were all connected.

This post is already pretty long.. I'll continue with Seneca Spring on Friday.

Have a great Hump-Day all!

5 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thanks for the pictures as I have been trying to figure out what a Spring factory made. I see the Springs now. That is one hack of a lot in a day. Thanks for your comment
and the news that time does go faster the older we get!! Take care, Very
best wishes, Merle.

July 30, 2008 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

How cool is that?

But did you make any Colorado Springs? Hot Springs? Ha! Man, I kill me.

This post reminded me of a visit I made to a local manufacturing plant. It was owned and run by Bekaert, a Belgian company. They made mostly wire (for radial tires and God knows what else). The building was about a half mile long, I think, and they started out with huge, think spools of cable at one end of the plant and ended up with various types of wire at the other end. I got to see it go through the galvanizing process and all other kinds of cool things. It's basically stretched out during the process to make it thinner as it goes. Fascinating, really, and one thing I loved about that job was touring such manufacturing facilities.

I still have a slinky clone that a secretary at Bekaert slipped to me one time.

July 30, 2008 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks Merle!

Mark, most springs are made from something called "Music Wire", which has actually nothing to do with making music!

I've made springs from wire as small as .004 of an inch, up to .750 (yes, that's 3/4 inch Stainless Steel ) wire.

July 30, 2008 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, i had no idea spring making was that complex, nor that there were that many springs.

Truly interesting.

Merle: Sometime time goes fast, and other times it's just sluggish as hell. Happiness makes it quicken, and sadness makes it slow down.

Yours

michelle ('lil o)

July 30, 2008 at 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I neve would have imagined the number of springs made by one manufacturer in one day. There must be way more uses for springs than I realized.

Reba

July 31, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home