108 - Jobs I've Had III
Ok, I've started putting an - between the post # and the title.. so that it doesn't look like I've had over 100 jobs. *LOL*
Lets see, I left off working for NAPCO as a machinist, and learned a lot there. It was a good job, but in 1976, my Dad had just been offered a job opening a wire warehouse in town, and he needed some employees he could trust, so he asked me to come work for him, as well as my friend Steve.
Before I go any further, I want to mention that my dad, and brother had been in the Spring industry for almost all their lives. Even my mom had worked at a few spring shops kicking a foot press.
Now, you have to understand, the area where I live.. within 20 miles are probably 30 spring making companies. They all need wire to make the springs, and this place, Industrial Steel and Wire (ISW) wanted to move into the area from their parent company in Chicago.
Steve and I were the first employees, and with two old fork trucks that people in Chicago must have been laughing at when they sent them to us, we managed to unload over 4 trucks a day (we actually had to call Chicago more than once to tell them to send more trucks as we could handle it). Full, 40+ foot long tractor trailers full from front to back and top to bottom with wire. The owner had come from Chicago after we were open for about 4 weeks, and he had to see how we were unloading now up to 6 trucks a day. He was amazed at the teamwork between Steve and I, and how we got things off the truck, staged, then put away before the next truck rolled in. On the spot, the owner told my dad to give us raises.
After the company was well on it's way to success, my dad left, for reasons of his own, and it wasn't long after that Steve and I left.
Next, I went to work at the same place my dad landed, called Seneca Spring. I need a LONG post about Seneca Spring, so I'll stop now and say, have a wonderful Monday!

4 Comments:
Hi Dave I am glad to see that little - - between the Post number and the Jobs. You have had a few though. Sounded like you and Steve worked very hard at your Dad's Spring works.
Look forward to seeing where you go from here.
Thanks for your kind words about my posts. I enjoyed all those "I've Learneds" too Take care, Regards, Merle.
It's always fascinating for me to hear the story of somebody who was in the family business. Because my father was a dentist, just deciding one day to join the family business was never an option for my brother and me. You pretty much have to plan ahead for that.
Cool story, Dave.
i dearly love hearing what made YOU, you! Glad you're continuing with it!
By the way, i'm still waiting for my email. Remember?
Yours,
'lil o (michelle)
That - between the post number and the post title is a good thing!
You had some very interesting jobs in the beginning of your career. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Reba
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home