106 Jobs I've Had
I was thinking back going home Tuesday, at all the jobs I've held over the years. I'll try to recount them as best as possible, but some may be out of order.
Keep in mind, I went to school for cooking, to become a Chef.
When I was about 14, I worked under the table for a caterer that my mom worked for. I think my brother worked for the same place for a time.
While still in school, I had the requisite job at Food Mart bagging groceries (where I met my wife)
Then I had a short stint when I first got out of school working at the local General Electric plant in the cafeteria and pushing a coffee cart around.
I then got my big break, working at a 5 star restaurant (The Iron Horse) with waiters in tuxedos, bus-boys (I was one of them), and a Maitre-D with a German accent. I started as a bus-boy, then when the Head Chef learned I had gone to cooking school, he pulled me into the kitchen to cook with him. After about a year, I became the First Chef, directly under him. It was a great job, but the restaurant changed owners, and the new owners wanted to make a "Family Style" restaurant. The Head Chef left to become the Executive Chef at the finest restaurant in Connecticut, and asked me to come with him. The restaurant was at the shore, about 50 miles away, and while I was tortured, I decided not to go as I didn't want to move away from my hometown just yet. I continued as the Head Chef of the Iron Horse, but it just wasn't the same. Then, one day the owner came into the kitchen and did something that I felt was unsafe and contrary to my standards, and I threw in my apron and quit on the spot.
While I loved cooking, I didn't like the fact that I only had Sunday nights and Mondays off. It was hard to find a date as all the girls wanted to go out on Friday or Saturday nights, my busiest nights.
I decided to leave my cooking career behind and look for something new.
More on Friday about this... just giving you a taste of my careers.
Have a great Hump-Day!

6 Comments:
Cool summary of your job history. I might have to do this sometime, but it will be ridiculously long. I've never stayed in one job more than two years, and never worked for the same company more than four (most knew me for only a year, and one for about six months).
I worked for Torrington, which merged with Timken - total of 35 years as of next month... that's it.
I think it's very cool that you were chef, but I admit that my heart broke a little when I read that you passed the chance to follow your mentor to his new place. Ah, I'm sure you've dreamed "what if" enough for the both of us, and you do have your lovely wife now. So, I'll shut up.
Hi Dave ~~ A man of many talents.
Do you do some cooking at home?
Thanks for your comments and for the
fact that there was no blogspot in
Olive's blog address. Glad you liked the Dave and Jeff joke. Nice to have
a friend you can trust !!!
Take care, Best Wishes, Merle.
Wow, that's certainly interesting! If i may, i'd like to hear what it was that the owner did in the kitchen that occasioned you quitting!
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
Give up cooking ..boy that must have been really hard for someone so trained. That is the most stressful thing I have done in all my life.. catering.. boy what a hassle just dealing with the people not the food.. take care.. : )
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home