Wednesday, August 27, 2008

120 - Creature of Habit

I got my haircut today.

It's the same haircut I've had since as long as I can remember.

It was cut by the same barber, that cut it for the last 38 years.

Really.

My barber's name is Dave too. But I digress.

As a kid, my parents used to take me to a barber shop about 3 blocks away named "Andy's". Andy cut my hair from when I was an infant, until I was 14. You see, Andy was one of these guys that thought he was the "Michelangelo" of barbers. In other words, he got too big to cut my hair, so he pawned me off on a new employee named Dave.

Dave was... well, younger when he first cut my hair. I can remember being ticked off at Andy for doing that to me, but after 1 or 2 haircuts by Dave, I quickly forgot. Eventually, Dave left Andy's for his own shop, and I followed him there. The rest, as they say, is history.

I told Dave today, that it's been 38 years, and he laughed.. and jokingly said "I must have been 10 years old when I first cut your hair"... and we both chuckled.

In some ways, I'm a creature of habit.. I don't know what I'll do if and when Dave retires (which I don't believe will be for quite some time).

Otherwise, I'm going to the doctors tomorrow for my coughing. I'm sleeping well at night, thanks to NyQuil, but during the day, it's sometimes pretty bad.

That's it for my "Hump-Day" post... I hope you all have a wonderful day!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was hoping that you'd already seen the Doc. about your cough...oh, well...i wonder why men are like that? They put off seeing a doctor, a dentist, etc. until they can't stand it anymore, rather than catch things while they're still easy to "fix."

That's cool that you've seen that barber all this time. Guess he "really" knows your hair, huh?

Yours,

michelle

('lil o)

August 27, 2008 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

michelle, this was the earliest appointment I could get! I haven't held off seeing him at all...

August 27, 2008 at 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh DAVE. uhhhh most of my "VIBES" come true so I would not poo poo them if I were you.. ; ) Got a pretty good track record too!! Gustav is out there and the conventions aren't over yet.. I just rather be on the safe side than not.. Stay well and if anything happens that is out of the ordinary .. you heard it from me FIRST!!! : )

August 27, 2008 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Dave ~~ I know what you mean about staying with Dave the barber.
I had a great hairdresser for many years, who retired, found another who was too dear and now have another - OK so far.
I am so sorry you lost your best friend to a motorcycle accident. My son still rides at weekends and I know he is a good rider, BUT we never know what others will do.
Take care, my friend, Very best Wishes and do go to the Doctor for that cough. Merle.

August 28, 2008 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Not sure how I missed this one, Dave.

If we hadn't moved so much in the 16 years we've been married, I would still be getting my haircut by the same person who cut it in 1992. Does that count?

The longest stretch I've ever gone to the same person is probably two or three years.

Man, that Ray Stevens song really means a lot to you, eh?

September 1, 2008 at 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home