Friday, November 14, 2008

153 - Counting Down the Days...

15 Days till Vacation. 13 if you count from Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow night, my wife and I are going to a Wine and Food Tasting at the Warner Theater. We've been there a few years back, and it's a wonderful time. The tickets were a gift to me for my birthday this year from my friend Dave and his wife Tina.

Other than that, I have to put the cover on the Vette this weekend, and hook up the battery trickle charger. Not too exciting a weekend.

Thursday, on the way home from work I stopped at a store up here called Linen & Things (who are going out of business here) and bought a very nice Henckel knife set for the kitchen. Anyone who's ever done any professional cooking knows that Henckel is one of the top brands. They're 'high carbon steel', not stainless steel like the more inexpensive knives on the market. I used to have a small set long ago when I was a cook, and having these here now.. well, you'd have to hold them in your hand to know how good they feel to an ole former chef like me.

And now for you michelle, a pun:

In the great desert lived a band of nomads. Their leader, Benny, had risen to his rank due to his magnificent beard. His people believed a man's strength and courage came from his beard, and thus the man with the biggest beard was their chief.
After leading the band for many years, Benny began to fell uncomfortable wearing the beard, in this hot and dusty land. He wanted to shave it off, so he called his council together to get their advice.
When he said he wanted to shave, the councilmen were shocked. One said, "Do you not remember the ancient legend, Sire. The leader who removes his beard is cursed and made into a piece of earthenware."
Benny had heard this legend, but being a modern man, he scoffed at the tale.
Being headstrong, he went ahead and cut and scraped away his once magnificent beard. As the final whisker was cut off, a huge dust storm came up. It lasted only a few seconds, and when it cleared, there was a man-sized clay vessel where only moments before had stood their leader.
The council then knew the legend must be true. Their conclusion? "A Benny shaved is a Benny urned."

Have a wonderful weekend all!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Congrats on the knives.

The big store-closing sale I wanted to take advantage of was Circuit City. I missed that one.

I haven't heard that Benny joke in years, but it's always been one of my favorites.

You have a nice weekend, too. And trim the fat off that chicken!

November 14, 2008 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my, my, my...*smile* It's such a great joke, Dave! Thanks!

As for those knives, my deceased husband, had bought me a full set, and i have enjoyed them tremendously. Wish i still cooked, but cooking for just one is just not right for some reason, and i just cannot bring myself to do it! Enjoy yours!

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

November 14, 2008 at 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPECIAL VIT D dave. guy is a specialist in the field. Have not talked to him yet. but she aint buying them that is for sure!! Hope your weekend is great!

November 15, 2008 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Thanks for your comments -glad
you enjoyed the post. Had a great time with Peter and Warren. We all enjoyed the week I think. Haven't heard otherwise. I hope they are nearly home as Warren starts work on Monday in
Brisbane, then Peter will go on to Gympie a few hours north of Brisbane. It is about 1000 miles from me and takes two days traveling to reach Shepparton from there. Peter lived in Victoria for the first 40 odd years, but like a lot of people moved to Queensland. The weather there is warmer, but very humid, not for me and he isn't keen on the heat either, but there he is. Last year he spent 3 months in South Australia with his daughter Vicki, who is still not very well. so missed the trip here, but says he will be back next year. Congrats on the knife set. I didn't know you were a chef in the past.
Take great care, Regards, Merle.

November 15, 2008 at 2:03 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi again Dave ~~ This is for Michelle. When my husband died, I hadn't a clue how to cook for one. SO I decided to still cook for at least four, and put 2 meals in the freezer and 2 in the fridge.
I cook, Corned beef, legs of lamb, and
casseroles etc etc.
Just thought that might help. I never cook one meal and don't have to do veggies every day. Cheers, Merle.

November 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home