143 - Friday at Last
Well, it's nice to know michelle is at least reading my blog. Thank you ole friend.
My MIL went today for some small tests before being admitted Monday for her surgery. It should be out-patient, so after an hour or two recuperating, she should go right home. I'll be taking a half day off Monday to help out.
My wife's been taking it good so far, but inside I know she's ready to come unglued. I'm trying to be there and support her and her mom as much as possible.
A little more about the wine tasting party we co-hosted last weekend.
It was held at a nice cottage that the other co-host (John) owned in Niantic, CT, right on the shore of Long Island Sound. We had hoped for warm enough weather to be able to do a lot of the party outdoors, but Mother Nature had other plans. It was very cool out, with at least a 25-30 mph wind. We had about 18 people, and everyone brought some kind of dish, be it an appetizer, side dish to our main course, or dessert.
For the wine tasting part, and considering this was an Oktoberfest party, we decided to stray from the normal German white wines, and tried to find a suitable German red wine. We found Turning Leaf Pinot Noir (they import the wine from Germany but they're an American company) from 2 different regions of Germany. The Baden region and the Pfalz region. We wanted to see if people could tell the differences in the wine, as they tasted quite a bit the same, but there were subtle differences. We had also gotten a "Rausch" beer to taste, and it was very very smoky in flavor.
For a main course, I made Roast Pork Loin with Braised Cabbage and Apples. If you want the recipe, just ask me. The meal turned out excellent, the wine tasting went smoothly, and everyone had fun. That's all we can ask for. We got many compliments from the head of the wine group for the great tasting, and for some handouts I made about Pinot Noir wines, the two exact wines we tried, and the smoke beer.
This weekend, I have some shopping to do for work clothes, and other than that I think I'm just going to relax a bit.
Here's a good video for you all to check out: Ron Howard on the Election
I'll leave you with a little funny:
A farmer was in a bar drinking and looking all depressed.
His friend asked him why he was looking depressed and he replied, "Some things you just can't explain. This morning I was outside milking. As soon as the bucket was fill the cow kicked it down with his left foot so I tied up his left to a pole.
I began to fill up the bucket again and he kicked it down with his right foot, so I tied his right to a pole too.
As soon as I finished milkin'' him again he knocked down the bucket with his with his tail and I took off my belt and tied up his tail with my belt.
As I was tying up his tail, my pants dropped down, then my wife came out and well, trust me, some things you just can't explain!
Have a wonderful weekend....

6 Comments:
I trust that the MIL's surgery will go well. I'm sure that with your connections up there you have guided her to the best care available.
Glad the tasting went well. Pinot Noir is one of the few wines I enjoy, but not just any of them. It's because they're not dry wines (translation for me -- sour and nasty).
That farmer should have known something was up the first time he said, "him." You can't milk a bull!
i too caught the "bull" part of the joke! Cute joke though!
i send the very best to you, and your family, with a special prayer for your MIL!
Yours,
michelle ('lil o)
Hope all goes well with the surgery my prayers to you all for good results. Sounds like you all had a great dinner the menu sounded wonderful. I saw the Ron Howard thing on tv last night and it was a hoot. Seeing him in the wig sent me back about 40 years.. what a rush!! Only Obama could give a person so much inspiration to shave off a BEARD! LOL Take care have a great weekend.
I am wishing the best for your MIL and I will be sending a prayer for her on Monday.
Take care,
Reba
Hope to read soon that your MILs surgery was a complete success Dave.
Hi Dave ~~ I am glad they have arranged for the removal of the cancers in your MIL. I guess she is scared and your wife probably terrified. I am glad you are such a help to both of them. Prayers continue. Great picture of your car, with that who needs Fall colors? Thanks for your comments and permission to "borrow" from your blog. Feel free to borrow anything I post as well Dave. I like to spread the smiles around also.
Take care and will be hoping to read good news here very shortly. All the very best to you all. Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home