Tuesday, September 8, 2009

256 – The Meeting that Never Was

Well, fate was working against us on Friday. My brother and I went to Boston on probably the most beautiful day of the year. Bright sunshine, blue skies, 82 degrees and a light breeze.

We Drove to Newton Ma., then jumped on the commuter train into downtown, which brought us within 100 yards 0f where we wanted to be. I opened my cell, and called Mark. He was stuck in work, communications problems keeping him from having fun on a beautiful Friday in September. fanieulhall

(Click on any picture to ‘embiggen’)

But, work comes first as we all know, and my brother and all walked around Fanieul Hall, and Quincy Market, marveling at how it’s changed since our last times here.

That’s Fanieul Hall to the right.

We wandered along the vendors, drooling at the smells of fresh New England  Clam Chowder, sausages, lobster.. and so very much more. We sat down and had a cup of chowder at one place just to satisfy our taste buds, then kept moving along.

We admired the many vendors, and eventually made our way to the seaport, a block or two away. Not more than a couple hundred yards away is the Newfanieulhall2 England Aquarium, and seeing as we still had time after calling Mark again, we paid our money and entered. More on that on Wednesday.

That’s part of Quincy Market on the right.

One odd thing came to light over the weekend though. The news was reporting on parents throughout the country refusing to allow their kids to watch the President address them. They accused him of so many awful things,…. that I’ve been incensed ever since.

There’s way too much bashing of the President, and everything he does this year. Talking to kids about staying in school, and setting goals.. is a good thing.

To read the text of what the President will say, go here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

That was a real drag, not getting to meet up with you in Boston. I was SO CLOSE when I called, but you were right about the logistics of it all. It just wouldn't have worked at that point.

I was away from my usual source of news all week, so I just kind of didn't get any. I heard about the protests to Obama's speech through folks' Facebook status updates, of all places. Anybody foolish enough to follow along with all the fear-mongering protesters wasn't fool enough to comment on anybody's Facebook page.

September 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ What a shame you didn't get to meet Mark -your most regular
commenter. Better luck next time.
What a shame that President Obama
seems to be having a bad time. Pity
ppl won't give him a fair go.
Glad you enjoyed the Tax collector joke. Get up off the floor Dave!!!
Take great care, my friend.
Regards, Merle.

September 8, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home