278 – A Week to Thank our Veterans
I honestly don’t understand why Veterans day isn’t a whole week. For all they do for us, for all they put on the line, for the price they pay in defense of our freedom, there should be a week at least in their honor.
My dad was a veteran from the Korean War. He never made it out of the states, but he did his part stateside, served his time and was honorably discharged.
My brother served in the National Guard, served his time and was also honorably discharged.
Myself, when I was old enough to enter, the draft had ended, and the sentiments of the Vietnam war was pretty bad. Personally, I didn’t like that we were there, but I sure did support our brave brothers and sisters that did serve. Right or wrong, they were doing what our President told them to do, and they followed orders.
A few years ago, I met some actual World War II veterans at the World War II Museum in New Orleans. After seeing some of the more realistic movies (my favorite being Band of Brothers), I made sure to shake their hands, look them in the eyes and tell them how much they were appreciated.
Our freedom is not free. It is paid for with the blood and lives of our brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, and friends.
Respect and honor the Veterans all week this week, if not all year long.
Have a wonderful Monday…

3 Comments:
Great post and I so agree! Last year the day before Thanksgiving we were flying and the airports and planes were packed. We had a group of soldiers on ours. When it came time to de-plane the soldiers were let off first with all the passengers clapping, thanking them, and shaking their hands as they made it to the front of the plane. They give so much and ask for so little.
Here here
wonderfully stated
Dear Dave ~~ Great post of Thanksgiving for our servicemen and women who give so much and ask so little in return. I agree a week is
much better than just one day.
Glad you like the joke about Ole - I think we all would have said the same
"I'm fine". Have a great week my friend, Regards, Merle.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home