325 – Band of Brothers
The most touching TV show (or movie) I’ve ever seen is “Band of Brothers”, made by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. Taken from a book by Stephen Ambrose, it tells the story of "Easy Company”, the first paratrooper company ever, and their tales in World War II. It was a 10 part (10 hour) miniseries by HBO, and it brought tears to my eyes in how it was written. Interspersed in the beginning and end of each episode, were the real soldiers of Easy Company, telling their story against a completely black backdrop. Emotions were still there as many tears were shed for the friends and family of these courageous men that never made it back. When this gem came out on DVD, I immediately bought it for myself, and later a copy for my dad, who loved it as much as I did. The series ended with the surrender of the German army, and the celebrations in Europe. One of the last scenes of the movie was when some of the soldiers find they had enough points to go home, while others were being sent to the Pacific theater. In one of the last words of one of the original Easy Company, a man says “My grandson asked me if I was a hero in the war.. (tears welling up in his eyes) and I told him No, the real heroes are still over there” meaning the ones in the graves in Normandy, the Ardennes forest in Belgium, and the beaches of Western Europe with names like Utah, and Sword.
If you’ve never seen this, please.. if you ever do anything I ask, rent this and watch it. You’ll be breathless at how well it’s done.
This weekend, HBO, Spielberg and Hanks continue the saga with “The Pacific”, a continuation of Band of Brothers, telling of the story in the Pacific theater.
You can bet I’ll be watching, saving on my DVR and eventually buying this one too.
No funny today.. I’ll just say have a wonderful weekend all.

5 Comments:
I watched an episode of this back when it first ran on HBO, during a training trip for work. It was quite good, and I've wanted every since to watch the entire series.
(FYI - I posted a little late this morning, and probably missed your blog checking window.)
ever since.
Mark.... please try to rent this if you like this kinda thing. So good, so realistic, so darn powerful.
You know Dave, if any of my books were made into a movie, I'd probably miss it. Hopeless at movies. Last one was Star Wars (Original one!) with my daughter. Geezz 1985? But, I do remember The Deer Hunter. That one has always stayed with me.
I agree... Band of Brothers was awesome. I saw it again one weekend when some cable channel was showing them all the episodes back to back and I sat through the whole thing. I don't have HBO anymore since we don't really watch TV that much anymore, but I would like to see The Pacific. I heard about that today.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home