Monday, March 29, 2010

332 – 23 Days to Vacation!

It’s coming quick, and with a short week this week, it’ll be even quicker!

I was talking to my daughter this weekend about the differences in dating now and when I was dating, so many years ago (don’t ask how many).
It seems “texting” is a normal part of the dating process, but I told her I’m a firm believer that I wouldn’t ever “text” if I were dating today. I find it cold and impersonal. If I want to talk to the other person, I’d call. I’d want to hear the other person’s voice. She disagreed.
I’m reminded of my absolute favorite commercial of all time, that left a lasting impression on me. It’s from United Airlines, please watch it and tell me what you think.

Our UCONN Women won again, their 75’th in a row! They honestly look unstoppable, and it would take a complete breakdown of the fabric of the universe for them to lose.

At left, I’ve added a new blog I read. My friend Derek from Switzerland, via Australia. He’s a good read… give him a try! (he’s also a singer and author!)

On to something funny (other than Derek):

For my buddy Bubba:

Southern Comments
Exclamations:

"Well knock me down and steal muh teeth!"
"Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit."

Threats:

"I'll slap you so hard, your clothes will be outtastyle."
"This'll jar your preserves."
"Don't you be makin' me open a can o' whoop-ass on ya!"

Good Things/Compliments:
"Cute as a sack full of puppies."
"If things get any better, I may have to hire someone to help me enjoy it."
"Gooder than grits."

The Weather:

"It's so dry, the trees are bribing the dogs."
"It's been hotter'n a goat's butt in a pepper patch."
Wintry roads are said to be "slicker than otter snot."

Descriptions:

A bothersome person is "like a booger that you can't thump off."
When something is bad then you say, "that ain't no count."

If something is hard to do, it's "like trying to herd cats."
"He ran like his feet was on fire and his ass was catchin."
A hectic schedule keeps you "Busier than a cat covering crap on a marble floor."

Insults:

"She's uglier than homemade soap."
"Your momma's so fat, when she stepped up on the scale to be weighed, it said 'To be continued.'"
"He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."
"Uglier than a lard bucket full of armpits."
"The wheels still turning, but the hamsters dead"
Any insulting statement is always followed by "bless his/her heart."
Example: "She's dumber than a door knob, bless her heart."

And for Bubba AND Mark…

Redneck Jedi

You know you're a redneck jedi when..
You hear "Luke, I am your father... and your uncle..."
You ever said the phrase, "May the force be with y'all."
Your Jedi robe is camouflage.
You have ever used your light saber to open a bottle of Bud Light.
At least one wing of your X-Wings is primer colored.
You can easily describe the taste of an Ewok.
You have ever had a land-speeder up on blocks in your yard.
The worst part of spending time on Dagobah is the dadgum skeeters.
Wookiees are offended by your B.O.
You have ever used the force to get yourself another beer so you didn't have to wait for a commercial.
You have ever used the force in conjunction with fishing or bowling.
You have ever had your R-2 unit use its self-defense electro-shock thingy to get the barbecue grill to light up.
You have a confederate flag painted on the hood of your land-speeder.
You ever fantasized about Princess Leia wearing Daisy Duke shorts.
You have the doors of your X-wing welded shut and you have to get in through the window.
Although you had to kill him, you kinda thought that Jabba the Hutt had a pretty good handle on how to treat his women.
You have a cousin who bears a strong resemblance to Chewbacca.
You suggested that they outfit the Millennium Falcon with redwood deck.
You were the only person drinking Jack Daniels during the cantina scene.
Your father has ever said to you, "Shoot, son come on over to the dark side...it'll be a hoot."

Have a wonderful Monday all…!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I had just seen the Redneck Jedi one recently, and I thought I got it from you. Guess not.

That conversation about dating is interesting. My wife and I marvel at the way it works today. Before we were married (and a couple years into our marriage) we never had sent each other an e-mail (nor even had it). Not until at least nine years into our marriage had we ever called each other on anything but land lines (nor even had a mobile phone). I can't imagine how much high school and college life in general would have differed for me had the Internet and e-mail, or mobile phones, been around (at that time mobile phones existed, but the average person didn't have one). It would be hard to date without any way to get away from someone (if they liked you but you didn't like them, for instance).

I remember in 1994 or 1995, while waiting tables, the first time one of my co-workers got a mobile phone. It was a wonder.

March 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Oh, and we didn't have caller ID on our home phones, either.

March 29, 2010 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

"He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down."
Thats my favourite!!!!
I use Windows XP Dave, have it on my Macs via Parallels too.

March 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home