Monday, March 22, 2010

329 – March Madness and 30 Days

The basketball games on Friday were outstanding, with some major upsets happening! Luckily, neither UCONN team played Friday and both of them are still alive in their respective tournaments. The men play again tonight, the women tomorrow night.

30 Days till vacation… or 4 weeks from this Wednesday at 3:30pm, I’m on vacation! We’ll be leaving early Thursday morning for San Diego where we’ll spend the day before the cruise. We signed up for our first Tequila Factory tour already! *S*

The weekend was busy, running errands on Saturday, then on Sunday, going to our wine club’s Wine Dinner. We were at a new place this year, one that I suggested over 2 years ago, and believe me when I say they hit a home run on this dinner. Everyone was completely blown away. I’ll post the menu tomorrow and you’ll see what I mean.

The weekend was also gorgeous as to weather.. up in the low 70’s Saturday, and 65 and sunny Sunday. This week, it’ll go back to near 50’s with some rain in the first couple of days.

On to something funny:

Funny Quotes:

Ted WIlliams:
Ted Williams had a reputation for having a disagreeable personality. Once when he was checking into a hotel under the false name of "G.C. Luther" the clerk asked him if he was really Ted Williams. Williams denied it and they went on to have a pleasant conversation about fishing. The clerk finally remarked, "I thought you really were Ted. But I can see you're not. You've got a much nicer disposition."

Ted Williams was an avid fisherman and was very knowledgable on the subject. He once told a Boston sportswriter that there was noone who knew more about fishing than he did. The writer replied, "Sure there is. God, who made the fish." "Yeah, all right," conceded Williams. "But you had to go pretty far back."

Mark Twain:
Once a notoriously tough businessman told Mark Twain, "Before I die I mean to make a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. I will climb Mount Sinai and read the Ten Commandments aloud at the top." Disgusted, Twain replied, "I have a better idea. You could stay at home in Boston and keep them."

Abraham Lincoln:
Government Printer Defrees, when one of the President's messages was being printed, was a good deal disturbed by the use of the term "sugar- coated," and finally went to Mr. Lincoln about it.
Their relations to each other being of the most intimate character, he told the President frankly that he ought to remember that a message to Congress was a different affair from a speech at a mass meeting in Illinois; that the messages became a part of history, and should be written accordingly.
"What is the matter now?" inquired the President.
"Why," said Defrees, "you have used an undignified expression in the message"; and, reading the paragraph aloud, he added, "I would alter the structure of that, if I were you."
"Defrees," replied the President, "that word expresses exactly my idea, and I am not going to change it. The time will never come in this country when people won't know exactly what 'sugar-coated' means."

Have a wonderful day all…!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Good funnies. Glad your dinner was great.

My NCAA bracket is toast. I picked a few early upsets, but the latest round killed me.

30 days, huh? Getting closer.

March 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Only 30 days until vacation - time flies when you are having fun. Great jokes and the Menu looked good also.
Take care, Cheers, Merle.

March 27, 2010 at 3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home