Wednesday, July 21, 2010

370 – A Long Time Ago…

When I was a kid, it seems like all summers were like this one. Hazy, Hot and Humid. It didn’t matter, we played baseball in the heat, rode our bikes everywhere and enjoyed our summers.

Back then, it seems like the summers lasted forever. We had enough kids in the neighborhood to just about make 2 baseball teams, and we used to play behind a school which is now the Board of Education in our town. After baseball, we used to go to the penny candy store at the top of my street, in search of something colorful and sweet from Mr. Calderoni. Other times, we’d go to Vito’s to play the pinball machines.

Either way, those were the days when we’d leave the house around 8am, come home for lunch when the lunchtime whistle blew from the factory downtown, then back out and came home when the streetlights came on, if not sooner for dinner without a care in the world.

Those were the days…..

On to something funny:

An Irishman goes into the confessional box after years of being away from the Church.
There's a fully equipped bar with Guinness on tap. On the other wall is a dazzling array of the finest cigars and chocolates.

Then the priest comes in. "Father, forgive me, for it's been a very long time since I've been to confession, but I must first admit that the confessional box is much more inviting than it used to be."

The priest replies: "Get out! You're on my side."

******************************************************************************

A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, our friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never  forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember  that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or  uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me.  Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too  long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please.  Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone.  Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you  so.

~Take a moment today to thank GOD for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.    Life would be a much duller, less joyful  experience without God's critters.

Well folks, last post till mid next week… stay safe until then!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Nice memory lane post. We never really heard anyone say, "It's too hot to play outside" when I was a kid. I think now we say it because our son's an only child, and neither of us wants to go out when it's 100 degrees (unless a swimming pool is involved).

July 21, 2010 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I think we were made of sterner stuff back then Dave, no computers, Nintendo s or the like to soften us up.

July 23, 2010 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I remember those hot summers too and we didn't stay indoors. I do hope your mother is able to have the surgery if she needs it. Your jokes are always good too.
Glad you liked my post and the
buccaneer joke in particular. All that typing and everyone liked the
two liner one. Such is life.
Take care my friend, Regards, Merle.

July 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home