Wednesday, October 20, 2010

403 - My First Trip to Europe XVIII

Germany:

Tuesday night, after work, I decide I need to find a Laundromat to wash some clothes, so I take a short walk around the town square right near the hotel and I see what we would consider a dry cleaner very close. I bring my clothing in and ask how much to wash and fold. The lady speaks just about no English at all, but I’m determined either I’ll speak enough German, or she’ll speak enough English to get my clothes washed. It worked, and she points to a calendar and points to Wednesday evening. Job done.

Next, I walk across the street to see something interesting and find a bakery. A German Bakery with the most decadent things on the plant. Blechkuchen (cake), Kasekuchen (cheesecake), Apfelkuchen (Apple cake), and my favorite, Apple Strudel. I wipe my tongue prints off of the front window, and notice on the door what time they open in the morning (very early). My plan is hatched.

Wednesday morning, I get up extra early, go to the bakery not caring if anyone speaks English at all, point to the Appel Strudel, open my hands, palm towards each other about 8 inches apart, and the lady behind the counter knows exactly what I want. I hold out my German Marks, she takes some and I leave with warm apple strudel. I bring it back to my hotel, get a cup of quite honestly the best coffee on earth, and unwrap my prize. The smell is intoxicating of fresh apples, butter and cinnamon. At this point, there’s maybe 10 other people in the dining room with me, and all of a sudden, all eyes are on ME! The owner comes out to give someone something, and they point at me and I can  just tell they’re going “I’ll have what he’s having”. The owner (Charles) comes over chuckling to himself asking me “Are you trying to get me in trouble”? I explain, “Hey, if you get this every morning, even charging for it, you could make a fortune!” We get a good laugh as he sits down and we chat about the differences in breakfast in the US and Germany.

Next, I was picked up at my hotel by a cab to be taken to the Frankfurt Airport. The cab driver was driving a gorgeous Mercedes cab (I later found almost all cabs in Germany were Mercedes or BMW’s). I asked if he spoke English (he did) and if I could ride up front with him, and he said sure. What transpired next…. will take more time than I have now, so it’ll be Friday! *S*

Have a great Wednesday all…!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mark said...

Great post again. Loved the visual description of your salivating on the windows of the bakery.

Loving this recounting of your trip, Dave. You should keep it all in one doc and polish it up a bit (leaving out the MOm updates 'cuz, as much as we all love her, she wasn't on the Europe trip).

October 20, 2010 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ This time I agree with Mark -- it would make a great book
when you put it all together.
Apple Strudel must be your favorite
and sounds delicious. I am looking forward to your Taxi tales - as I often travel in them and the drivers are all different. Mostly great.
Sounds like Mercedes & BMW for cabs!!
Glad you enjoyed my post. Take care
my friend, Regards, Merle.

October 24, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home