Monday, April 14, 2008

66 Europe Part VI

Ok... where was I? Oh yeah, Switzerland!

But... before we get to Switzerland, home of cheese with holes in it, fine watches, neutrality, and cocoa...

This past Thursday, it got up to 70 out, and I was SO wanting to take my Vette out, but when I went and looked at the weather report, it was going to be an awful weekend, with rain all day Saturday and Sunday being cold and cloudy. So.. I decided to hold off putting insurance back on my baby till next week.
Saturday morning, I woke up, and look how horrible it was outside! I do admit, at least it was about 74 degrees out. Same thing Sunday. I could scream at the weatherman!

But I digress.. back to Europe.

lucerne5

The morning after arrival, we got some free time so we decided to do some walking. The town is absolutely gorgeous, with very tall buildings, and beautifully made cobblestone streets.

We roamed at least 5 or 6 blocks from the hotel before heading back to go on our trip up the mountain. It was at this time that we learned we would be going up Mt. Rigi, not the slightly higher Mt.Pilatus (which was ok with Mr. I'm afraid of heights anyways).

lucerne6

The picture at left was from a bus as we rounded a corner heading for the cog-wheeled train that would take us up this immense mountain. Our bus ended in a tiny town called Vitznau, at the base of Mt. Rigi. The ascent would take us 6000 feet up.
Here's a link to a a great site about Mt. Rigi.

 

 

rigi1

At right, was a small town about halfway up the mountain. It was about 70 degrees at the bottom when we got on the train, which moves quite slowly I should add up the mountain. The view was breathtaking, and got better by the moment.

The next picture (below)  is what we saw looking out the window of the train. It seems like every time we rounded a corner, there was

rigi2

more 'ooh's and 'aah's from the people on the train.

The Alps just seemed to go  on forever, and the contrast of the snow, and the brown/green down below.

Then, there's the crisp, clean air. Not a hint of smog, and it seems you can see for miles and miles.

rigi5

 

Here I am, sitting at (what feels like the top of the world) the top of Mt. Rigi. It was a bit breezy up there as you could imagine, and pretty cold, but there's no words to describe the view.

While sitting there, we heard what sounded like a jet airplane, very close by. We looked, and a guide up there told us to look, and we saw 3 Swiss Jet Fighter planes fly by, BELOW US!

rigi7                           rigi6

The two pictures above are the view from the top, looking down as best I could, and of the Rigi Hotel, at the top.

Wow, there's so much more.. it'll have to wait till Wednesday (always leave them wanting more I guess!)

Until then.... have a great Monday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Beautiful, Dave! Thanks for taking us up into the Alps like this. What a view, indeed.

That's the kind of place where, while taking pictures, I don't realize how cold I am until after I set down the camera.

April 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

It truly was a once in a lifetime experience Mark. The cool part will come Wednesday... *S*

April 14, 2008 at 6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's gets better than this, Dave? Can't wait for Wed. then!

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

April 14, 2008 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Merle said...

Dear Dave ~~ I enjoyed touring Switzerland with you. Very interesting and great photos, thanks.
I did enjoy the Farmers' Market and
seeing what was for sale. It seems they have them in most countries.
Take care, Regards, Merle.

April 15, 2008 at 5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home