Wednesday, October 8, 2008

137 - Wordless (almost) Wednesday

 

What's the difference in these two pictures, taken seconds apart?

oct0708

oct0708b

(Click on either picture to 'embiggen')

15 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I'm going with a different white balance setting. Not just the sky, but the reflections off the buildings below show a different color cast.

October 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I mean "cars" not "buildings." Also, if done the old-fashioned way, it could be that you slapped a warming filter on the lens for the second shot.

October 8, 2008 at 2:36 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

NNNnnnnnnope!

October 8, 2008 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

One is through a window and the other is not.

Or, one is picture of a picture, and the other is a picture of the actual scene. Can't imagine a postcard finding that shot worthy. Not that it's bad, but usually they're more scenic.

October 8, 2008 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

*LOL* No, I took both shots within seconds of each other. (ok ok, I know they're not perfect but I see the sunrise as I walk into work and try to capture SOME kind of color)

October 8, 2008 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger bubbanem said...

No flash on the first one.

[done deal .. send the prize money!]

October 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first i thought that the pictures were taken on a plane, and therefore you were closer to the ground in the second one...but, i guess not...

OK...when do we find out the answer?

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

October 8, 2008 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What an incredible difference in color. Wow. Thanks for your compliments on my photos too!

*HUGS*

October 8, 2008 at 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so if they were taken with the same camera, I'm going along with flash and no flash, otherwise I'm going with digital camera and cell phone camera

October 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the white thingy in the lower left corner...

October 8, 2008 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I will wait for the answer.
Congrats on getting one of Peter's prizes
I doubt if I would have, without looking
it up. Thanks for the comments and I am glad you enjoyed the story and jokes. Take great care, Very Best Wishes, Merle.

October 9, 2008 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Wow, Bubbanem wins!!!!

No Flash/Flash!

Actually, the bottom one was taken first, before I remembered to turn off the flash.
Amazing what a flash can do to a picture isn't it! *S*

Prize money is in the mail bud! *LOL*

October 9, 2008 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Now that I look at it on a different monitor, I can see the rail in the top picture. That would have helped a little.

But, the white balance is the reason the colors look different in the two. The camera set the white balance to a different setting between flash on/flash off, and that's why the colors rendered differently.

October 9, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger bubbanem said...

It would be interesting to see what settings the flash mode changed. Dave must've manipulated the image, cuz all the exif data has been stripped out. Click here to see a cool Firefox add-on for viewing exif data of jpegs.

October 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mark, you're probably right, but I was looking for the "flash" answer.

Bubba, all I did was resize in PSP XI, nothing else.

October 9, 2008 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home