160 - Not-So Wordless Wednesday
Well, I was going to post another picture from my vacation, and only a few words, but Tuesday night, I attended the wake of another good friend of mine that was taken before his time. His name was Joe, and he, I and his cousin Nick were great friends from around 15 through our mid 20's. Joe and I bought our first Corvettes near the same time, and also our first motorcycles around the same time. We hung our a lot, and I got to know his family well.
Joe's dad owned a sand & gravel company, and Joe had worked there from when he was very young. Nick also worked there and one summer, when I was out of work, Joe's dad told me, and I quote "Champ, Joey tells me you don't have a job. Get your ass to the pit tomorrow at 8am, I have a job for you". Joe's dad was a real nice guy, though he sounded very "gruff". I've seen Joe all summer, at just about every other one of our Saturday cruise nights, as Joe loved classic cars as I do. We always sat together and talked, mostly about the fun we had as kids, sometimes about the cool cars or his collection of motorcycles. He was always asking me to take one of his bikes for a ride. A Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo. The only motorcycle on earth to scare me, and he owned one. I never got nor will I get the chance.
A few years ago, Joe was diagnosed with diabetes, and I believed from what he told me that he had it under control. As I understand it, for the past few weeks, Joe has had pain in his legs, and didn't want to go to the doctors. It was so bad, that by last Friday, he finally went to the hospital where they found he had a massive infection throughout his body, and it had entered his organs.
Joe was gone by Saturday morning. He was 50.
Back to the vacation. The picture above was taken looking out the door, across the street from Los Cinco Soles, in Cozumel Mexico. You can see just how beautiful the water is there.
In Cozumel, we shopped, tasted Tequila and had a great lunch at Las Palmeras, a restaurant right across the street from the water, just like the picture above.
That's all I feel like posting for today.
Have a wonderful Hump-Day....

6 Comments:
Oh, my. So sorry to hear about Joe. Only 50. That's so sad.
I'm trying to shift gears and say something nice about your vacation, but I find myself thinking about my folks instead.
FIFTY! (gulp) My sugar is a bit higher than normal ... Joe's story oughta shock me into a bit of action.
Sorry to hear about your friend. We've had our own sadness here. Joe lost his dad friday night. He also had a bad infection throughout his body, started in his intestines. Took him a couple months though....he was so sick. Was very very sad....
Hugz to you.....Joanne
Dear Dave ~~ I am glad you and your wife had a great vacation. But I am so sorry about your friend, Joe who was taken far too soon, and so quickly. At least his pain is over, and yours and his family and friends has just begun. I hope your MIL is doing OK also.
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoy the jokes, as I do yours. Take care of yourself, my friend. Very best wishes,Merle.
I'm SO sorry about Joe, Dave! Infections are so dangerous, especially for diabetics. May he rest in peace and you and his family are in my prayers.
*BIG, BIG HUGS*
Dear Dave:
i can imagine how shocked you are to lose such a wonderful friend at the tender age of 50!
May your family and his be comforted by prayer and friendship...
So sad...
Glad your vacation was so wonderful though...at least you came home rested for that horrible news!
Just know that i am here for you!
Yours,
michelle {{{{{hugs}}}}} ('lil o)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home