279 – A long time ago…
I was inspired by Mark’s blog to talk about another of things we have in common. He was once a teacher, and so was I.
It was actually very early on, I had gone from owning a Commodore VIC-20 to a Commodore 64, and saw in the local paper, that one town over, there was an adult education class on the Commodore 64. Some of you may remember, this is where I met my friend Kevin that passed away a couple of years ago. Kevin was the teacher, and after a few classes, we both realized that I knew as much as he did, and that I should teach a class as they had many people they were turning away due to lack of teachers.
I began teaching the Commodore 64, then a year or so later, moved on up to Intro to DOS, Multimate Word Processing, and basic file management.
From there, I began teaching Microsoft Windows 3.1, then Windows 95, then the early versions of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Powerpoint). Then, a class that had a bit of everything, called PC Technologies. I taught for 13 years, with my wife becoming a teacher for a while too. It was easy money, and only one night a week and honestly, it was a lot of fun.
Most of the people taking the courses were older, whose kids had computers and the parents didn’t have a clue what they were or how they worked. They seemed to leave having a much better understanding of the terminology, and how to use the PC. I’m sure, many of their kids at some point, got worried that their parents started to know “too much” about their computers now! *LOL*
I look back now, and think of just how antiquated DOS was, and Multimate, that was formerly the WANG word processor.
And now, something for Mark:
25 of the hottest sci-fi cover girls and guys!
And now, a funny:
A blonde gets an opportunity to fly to a nearby country. She has never been on an airplane anywhere and was very excited and tense. As soon as she boarded the plane, a Boeing747, she started jumping in excitement, running over seat to seat and starts shouting, "BOEING! BOEING!! BOEING!!! BO....."
She sort of forgets where she is, even the pilot in the cock-pit hears the noise. Annoyed by the goings on, the Pilot comes out and shouts "Be silent!"
There was pin-drop silence everywhere and everybody is looking at the blonde and the angry Pilot. She stared at the pilot in silence for a moment, concentrated really hard, and all of a sudden started shouting, "OEING! OEING! OEING! OE...."
Have a wonderful weekend all..!

2 Comments:
Not blocked! You had told me how you fell into teaching. That would be fun to do it as a part-time gig. I was allowed to create and teach a digital photography class for beginners while I was teaching computer courses. That was my favorite class to teach, but it was just a one-time thing.
I'll check out the 25 hottest sci-fi folks in a while.
Hi Dave ~~ I am glad you enjoyed your years of teaching, as well as
your wife(And Mark)Good memories.
Good joke B silent- took me awhile!
Glad you enjoyed the post.
About our seasons being opposite, we have lived with what we have and
cannot imagine having the opposite.
I wouldn't want snow on Christmas, asyou can't imagine having it when in Summer. So long as we are both happy with where we are, all is well.We just agree to be different.
Take care, my friend.Regards, Merle
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home