Monday, November 30, 2009

285 – Math, or the lack thereof

Well, I am off Monday, but I wanted to post an update.

Thanksgiving went perfectly, with an outstanding 19.5 pound turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (some call it dressing), corn, turnips and all the little things like black olives and cranberry sauce. Everyone had a fantastic time, the food was the best we’ve ever had, the turkey was incredibly juicy.. it was great.

I was having some work done on my house, so I was pretty much at home on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, my daughter ran some errands then went to Pier 1 Imports where my daughter bought a small, rattan foot stool to go with a chair she has, and the padded pillow for it. We were told, there were 20% off on each piece, so when we got to the register, the girl had no idea how to figure 20% off it seems. Sure enough, her math was wrong even though we told her it was. When we got home, I took out the sales flyer from there, which had the correct price in it, and sure enough, the girl was wrong. We went back, and while my daughter (the Masters Degreed Math teacher) explained that they owed her money, the managers calculator kept coming up with a different number, and my daughter got steamed when she figured out their calculator always rounded up in their favor.  This is just one small example of how people can’t do simple math anymore. I see it myself all the time when people go to give me change.

Now, on to something fun:

The American Film Institute's top 100 movie quotes, all said in a video. (this is incredible) Be sure to check below the video for the names of all the movies.

Well, that’s it for now.. have a wonderful Monday!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Yep, that's a pretty sad state of mathematical affairs. I can guarantee you one segment of the population who knows what 20% is -- wait staff! They also know 10%, 15%, etc.

Decimal places are a great and easy way to do math, but too many people have become reliant on calculators.

November 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Glad to hear your thanksgiving was good Dave, you would think 20% off would be simple even for the simpletons... but no!!!!

December 1, 2009 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Caroldee said...

Oh yes I agree some people can't count worth anything and if the power goes off they stand around like they have no idea how to count or give correct change. Sad indeed.. Hope your week goes well. : )

December 1, 2009 at 10:21 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~ ~ With texting, kids don't learn to spell and without a
calculator they can't do simple maths. What hope for the future?I couldn't get the video to work - I
saw and heard Ingrid Bergman but that was all. Sounded interesting
too. I might try it tomorrow.
Thanks for your visit and comments.
I hope your week is going well.
Take care, my friend, Regards,Merle.

December 2, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home