Wednesday, January 21, 2009

176 - Hump-Day 3 of 2009

Well, we ushered in a new era today. We have our first African-American President. I have to say, I have high hopes for the country now. I watched the inauguration from work Tuesday, and I was very impressed with what our new Commander In Chief had to say. Hopefully, he keeps his word.

Yes Mark, (and others) I still have a waterbed. Just before my wife and I got married, when I got my own place, we lived across the street from a guy who made waterbeds. I walked into his shop (he was a distant friend) and he showed me his first high-end creation, an all oak, bookcase headboard waterbed frame with drawers beneath. My girlfriend/future wife and I fell in love with it, and we bought it on the spot. About 5 years later, I met a friend (who now lives in Florida) that has the exact same bed, from the same guy! The only difference is, mine is solid oak, and his was made with oak plywood in some places.

We've only had to replace the mattress once, the heater once, and no we have a semi-waveless mattress in it. I'll tell you, there's nothing like climbing into a nice warm waterbed when it's ice cold out (or if you're cold). Either way, it's a gorgeous bed, and I still love sleeping on water.

I've linked to a new blog, Elaine's Place on the left. She's a very nice lady who I've been reading for a short time and she has a great blog!

On to my joke for the day:

MARTHA STEWART'S *TIPS FOR REDNECKS *
GENERAL
1. Never take a beer to a job interview.
2. Always identify people in your yard before shooting at them.
3. It's considered tacky to take a cooler to church.
4. If you have to vacuum the bed, it is time to change the sheets.
5. Even if you're certain that you are included in the will, it is still rude to drive The U- Haul to the funeral home.
ENTERTAINING IN YOUR HOME
1. A centerpiece for the table should never be anything prepared by a taxidermist.
2. Do not allow the dog to eat at the table, no matter how good his manners are.
PERSONAL HYGIENE
1. While ears need to be cleaned regularly, this is a job that should be done in private using one's OWN truck keys.
2. Even if you live alone, deodorant is not a waste of good money.
3. Use of proper toiletries can only delay bathing for a few days.
4. Dirt and grease under the fingernails is a social no-no, as they tend to detract from a woman's jewelry and alter the taste of finger foods.
DATING (Outside the Family)
1. Always offer to bait your date's hook, especially on the first date.
2. Establish with her parents what time she is expected back. Some will say 10:00 PM. Others might say " Monday ". If the latter is the answer, it is the man's responsibility to get her to school on time.
THEATER ETIQUETTE
1. Crying babies should be taken to the lobby and picked up immediately after the movie has ended.
2. Refrain from talking to characters on the screen. Tests have proven they can't hear you.
WEDDINGS
1. Livestock, usually, is a poor choice for a wedding gift.
2. Kissing the bride for more than 5 seconds may get you shot.
3. For the groom, at least, rent a tux. A leisure suit with a cummerbund and a clean bowling shirt can create a tacky appearance.
4. Though uncomfortable, say " yes " to socks and shoes for this special occasion.
DRIVING ETIQUETTE
1. Dim your headlights for approaching vehicles, even if the gun is loaded and the deer is in your sights.
2. When approaching a four-way stop, the vehicle with the largest tires does not always have the right of way.
3. Never tow another car using panty hose and duct tape.
4. When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer too.
5. Do not lay rubber while traveling in a funeral procession.

Have a wonderful Hump-Day!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

I loved my waterbed in high school. I know what you mean about the warmth, because we had a fireplace insert in the living room, so the front of our house was always an inferno and the back was always freezing. That warm bed was nice.

The tips were good. I knew a lady who let her dog sit in her lap and lick her plate while it was still on the table. While we all were still sitting there either finishing up or talking. I thought it was disgusting, but the family was accustomed to it.

I had a substitute teacher in high school who pulled out his keys while talking to us about that day's lesson. He proceeded to dig in one of his ears and pull the key back out to see his results. Yuck.

The scary thing about the above examples is that I would not consider either one of those people rednecks. I guess that means that where I was brought up, "redneck" meant you were REALLY backwoods.

January 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am hopeful for the future of our country now with President Obama as commander in chief! Boy it sounds good to say those words :-)

Hey thanks for the link, I will add you too in my sidebar.

You have a great day.

January 21, 2009 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger poopee shmoopee said...

Hey Dave! *highfive*

We Canadians are also very hopeful for the future with Obama's inauguration!

Thanks for your continued bloggy encouragement and support - you are sweeter than the cookie recipes I posted today!

January 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i liked some of those tips. Very cool!

As for the future, all i can say is that i hope and pray that OBama can do exactly as he promises! It can't get worse, that's for sure.

As for dogs eating from plates and such, my parents allowed the dog to eat from plates, but they were placed on the floor after the meal. my mother always did dishes by hand, though...none of these fancy dishwashers at that time, so one always wonders just how clean those dishes were?

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

January 21, 2009 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ I am glad you are happy with your water bed. I have an
electric blanket for the cooler weather and it is great to get into a warm bed - helps my back a lot.
Those Martha Stewart Tips are great
and it is hard to believe some folks do those things. If I had a dog, it would have its own dish, not mine.
Thanks for your always encouraging words on my blog. Take care, my friend, That holiday is getting closer. Regards, Merle.

January 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Ohhhh, I miss my waterbed!! I'm tempted to buy another. *sigh* I'm sleeping on a very uncomfortable mattress inside my waterbed frame (long story).

Those tips are a hoot!

Happy Thursday!

*HUGS*

January 22, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home