Wednesday, January 28, 2009

179 - 17 More Days till Vacation!

The days are going quickly thank goodness... I hope they slow down to a crawl when I'm in the Caribbean! Some of our friends that are also going (there's 60 people going in all) are starting to talk about what they're going to do down there. Me, relaxation is #1 on my list. I may also get some guys together for a deep-sea fishing trip.

Other than that, I came home yesterday to have half my basement full of water. Luckily, it didn't make it to my office where all my computers are.
What happened is a small device on my furnace that's supposed to shut off the burner when the water gets to 180 degrees, failed. So, there is a safety device that's supposed to blow water off (rather than blow your furnace up), and it worked fine.. but blowing water onto the floor isn't what I had in mind!

So, my daughter and I used my shop-vac and got 99% of the water up, my friend Dave stopped over and diagnosed the problem, and my oil company was here with a new part in a few hours. My back on the other hand, feels broken from schlepping all the water and tossing it outside from the shop-vac.
To top it off, I had a lot of heavy lifting to do in work Tuesday. So... I'm struggling.

Well, on to something funny:

A man calls a company and orders their 5-day, 10 lb. weight loss program.

The next day, there's a knock on the door and there stands before him a voluptuous, athletic, 19 year old babe dressed in nothing but a pair of Nike running shoes and a sign around her neck.

She introduces herself as a representative of the weight loss company.

The sign reads, "If you can catch me, you can have me."

Without a second thought, he takes off after her.

A few miles later huffing and puffing, he finally gives up.

The same girl shows up for the next four days and the same thing happens.

On the fifth day, he weighs himself and is delighted to find he has lost 10 lbs. as promised.

He calls the company and orders their 5-day/20 pound program.

The next day there's a knock at the door and there stands the most stunning and beautiful woman he has ever seen in his life.

She is wearing nothing but Reebok running shoes and a sign around her neck that reads, "If you catch me you can have me."

Well, he's out the door after her like a shot.

This girl is in excellent shape and he does his best, but no such luck.

So for the next four days, the same routine happens with him gradually getting in better and better shape.

Much to his delight on the fifth day when he weighs himself, he discovers that he has lost another 20 lbs. as promised.

He decides to go for broke and calls the company to order the 7-day/50 pound program.

"Are you sure?" asks the representative on the phone. "This is our most rigorous program."

"Absolutely," he replies, "I haven't felt this good in years."

The next day there's a knock at the door; and when he opens it he finds a huge muscular guy standing there wearing nothing but pink running shoes and a sign around his neck that reads,"If I catch you, you are mine!!!"

He lost 63 pounds that week.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

8 Comments:

Blogger Merle said...

Hello Dave ~~ I see you got the award on - thanks for your kind words. Sorry about the furnace and the bad back. Never mind that vacation is getting closer. Glad you liked the story of the little angel with the Dark Candle. Take care, my friend. Regards, Merle.

January 28, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I hope your back gets better soon. Glad you had a ShopVac to handle the job.

You ever consider a daily journal on a trip? I've done it a couple times, and there were instances where it took me far too long to write and I was up late. A little less detail would have been good.

January 28, 2009 at 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I'm sorry about the basement, what a mess to come home to. Don't know what you're taking for your back but I recommend Aleve. When I was working 12 hour shifts ( 7a -7p )
the only way I could make it through the last 4 hours and stand up fairly straight was take an Aleve. A lot of nurses take this for back pain.

Bet your vacation can't come soon enough!

January 28, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Thanks to you all for your kindness about my back *S*

Mark,
I have done daily journals, but usually only when I go to Europe.
I'll consider it this time.. but it may just be:

Day 1: Woke up, had breakfast, took a dip in the pool, laid in the sun, hand lunch. Laid around the pool, had a drink, had dinner, went to the show at the resort.
Day 2: Woke up, had breakfast, took a dip in the pool, laid in the sun, hand lunch. Laid around the pool, had a drink, had dinner, went to the show at the resort.
Day 3: Woke up, had breakfast, took a dip in the pool, laid in the sun, hand lunch. Laid around the pool, had a drink, had dinner, went to the show at the resort.

etc....

January 28, 2009 at 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, of course I would ask the price. The old saying is if you have to ask you can't afford it!

Have you blown the substation out in Bristol yet?

January 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

That's funny, because I *almost* wrote a joke sample entry just like that, even though I've never been on a cruise.

Sounds like a blast. You should do some reading, too, right?

January 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Mark, this vacation isn't a cruise!!! It's at an all-inclusive resort, so all food and drink is free! WHOO HOO!

January 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could have sworn that you were headed for another cruise! i am happily surprised as what you describe is going to be wonderful!

i am so sorry about your flood, but as you say, thankfully it did not get to your computers!

Please be very careful with your back so that you are OK for that GREAT trip!

{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

January 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home