Friday, January 23, 2009

177 - New Toy(s)

On Wednesday, at about 11:30am (during my lunch) I ordered my new PC. Something VERY high end, with an Intel I7 Quad Core Processor, special very fast Triple Channel RAM, a high end motherboard and case, a power supply that'll light Vegas, and a few other goodies (500GB HDD and LightScribe DVD Burner).

On Thursday, at 11:00am, it all arrived at my doorstep. No, I didn't pay for overnight shipping, actually I paid for 3 day shipping (the slowest offered).

Such is NewEgg.com. I buy all of my electronic toys from NewEgg. Their prices are the best anywhere, their service is way above and beyond fantastic, and delivery... need I say more? Most of their stuff is shipped from a warehouse in Edison N.J. (their closest to me) and UPS must be right next door. Either way, you can't beat their service and prices.

So, the PC is completely in pieces, so it'll take a while for me to put it together, and get everything running. This will be the first PC I've put together myself in a long time, but so much has changed.. it'll be a challenge.

I have had some very odd people start following me on Twitter lately... hmm.

Oh, and WELCOME BACK shmoopee!!! Thanks for the cookie recipes (see her blog at left).

Well, this week is flying by..  so I'll leave you with an oldie but goodie from my friend Mike H:

A Montana cowboy was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture when suddenly a brand new BMW advanced out of a dust cloud towards him.
The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban Sunglasses and YSL tie, leans out the window and asks the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"
The cowboy looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"
The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3 cell phone, and surfs to a NASA Page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation System to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.
The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.   
Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image; has been processed and the data stored.   
He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC connected Excel spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry and, after a few minutes, receives a response.
Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page r eport on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and finally turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."
"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says the Cowboy.
He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on amused as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.
Then the cowboy says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"
The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"
You're a Congressman for the US Government", says the cowboy.
"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"
"No guessing was required" answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You tried to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about cows...this is a herd of sheep.
Now give me back my dog.

Have a great weekend all!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Congrats on the new PC. I've been running a DIY computer for several years. I just keep upgrading the mobo, CPU, and other parts as needed. My last pre-built buy was a Micron -- before they became known as MPC.

Newegg.com is da bomb!

I had some strange followers on Twitter, too, many obviously trying to make money somehow. I then switched mine so that only the Twitter members I accepted could follow me. That was why I removed my Twitter widget from my blog.

Thanks for that joke. That was a great update to a classic.

January 23, 2009 at 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on assembling the new PC, sounds like a daunting task to me. What OS will you be using?

About Twitter...I couldn't help myself but checked your followers. It seems 2 new ones that I see are from Curacao (or Caribbean).

There must be some sort of search that people put in to look for people to follow. I got several new twitters pet related when I mentioned Poco (dog) in one of my tweets. You've mentioned your upcoming vacation in Curacao and boom new twitters from there.

January 23, 2009 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I removed my twitter feed on my blog here. I think you're right... people were getting it and I was getting some weird people following me.

Elaine, I think I'll be using 64bit Vista.

January 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good joke, Dave...thanks!

May you totally enjoy your new toy, Dave!

*smile*

Yours,

michelle ('lil o)

January 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Merle said...

Hi Dave ~~ Just a quick note to let you know I have left an award for you on my blog to thank you for all your complimentary comments. I ope you enjoy the Lemonade award. No wine awrd yet!! Take care, Merle.

January 23, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home